Flying in milwaukee brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying in milwaukee brace

We ar going on our holiday from the UK to LA about a 12 hour flight.
    This is my first flight ever in the brace and I knoe aircraft seats are quite low ans will most proberly push my brace up when sitting. Has anyone flewn in a milwaukee brace experiece would be apreciated. I am in the brace 23/7 my parents will not let me take it off for the flight.

Wane,
    I agree with your parents.. it is not a really good idea to take it off for that long.. I dont have a milwaukee brace, so i cant fully answer your question, but when i first flew with my cheneau brace for 14 hours, i felt sooo good because on the plane as u know, the seats there are not the comfiest and you know how u like cant find your position and u sometimes maybe even open the food tray and put a pillow and put your head on it.. etc. until u find your comfi position.. well it was really comfi for me with my brace since i was straight, not all over the place. it was really easy for me to relax comfortably and it did not bother me at all!! now i dont know really about the milwaukee brace and what u are talking about that can be pushed up by the seat but i wish i can help u.. anyways.. good luck and inform us later on how the flight went out for u!!
    My name is Rotem
    I am 13 and in 7th grade
    Started with 2 curves:
    34º Therotical
    50º Lumber
    I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
    Got my 1st on Nov. '06
    Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
    Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
    and im still trying to get used to it
    Hoping I won't need surgery
    I live in South Florida
    3rd check on November 17,2007,
    Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
    30º Theoratical
    37º Lumber
    4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Flying in milwaukee brace.

Thanks for your reply. The problem is the milwaukee brace wont let me bend forward because of the steel bars back and front fastened to a steel ring around my neck. On the steel neck ring is a moulded throat mold under my chin and at the back is a head rest fastened to the back of the neck ring so when the neck ring is closed my head is held tight between the supports. It is the throat mold and rear head support that pushes up higher when I sit in low seats then I have to stretch myself in the brace to be more comfortable.

Comment

How old are you?
        Maybe they could seat you in an exit row to give you more room. I think you have to be fifteen to sit in an exit row, but there is more leg room. Except on take off and landing, reclining your seat might help your discomfort. That helps my daughter, Rachel, with brace discomfort when sitting for a long time. She doesn't have the Milwaukee, though, so I don't know how the two compare.
        Firstclass also has more leg room, I think, although I have never flown first class!
        Last edited by cherylplinder; 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

most airline dont allow any brace, cast ect... in the exit row.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

flying in milwaukee brace.

In answer to your question I am 11 years old and I dont know what the regulatens are here in UK about isle seating will get my parents to find out. Our holiday is not until end september. I have only been in my milwaukee brace for 2 months started off wearing it just a few hours then adding hours on until know I wear it 23/7. This is just my second week 23/7 and it is hard to get used to that it is going to be on me know all day every day for a long time. I was 18 months in a boston brace but it was not working to well because my curves are high so they are trying the milwaukee brace,
            I find the milwaukee brace is more restricting because I dont bend forward at all in the sitting position and I cant look down. I am graduelly getting used to it but liked the boston brace best.

Comment

i dont really understand what u wrote on my reply but i think I have an idea for u.. go early before the flight. usually for international flights you are supposed to come to the airport 3- 3 1/2 hours before. so what i think you can do u is go like 4 4-1/2 hours before the flight and let your parents talk with the person that will make your seats and ask if they can please seat u in a more spacey place for you and it might even help if you show what you have, so they will believe you...
              My name is Rotem
              I am 13 and in 7th grade
              Started with 2 curves:
              34º Therotical
              50º Lumber
              Got my 1st on Nov. '06
              Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
              I live in South Florida
              30º Theoratical
              37º Lumber
              4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

ohh ya.. i think cherylplinder is right about that they wont let you sit in the exit row ( emergency seat) since you have to be over 18 years old.. from what i remember they told me!!
                My name is Rotem
                I am 13 and in 7th grade
                Started with 2 curves:
                34º Therotical
                50º Lumber
                Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                I live in South Florida
                30º Theoratical
                37º Lumber
                4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

I have never flown in a Milwaukee brace, but I was in a brace where the doctors told me I was not allowed to fly in it. It had to be carried onto the airplane and stored in the luggage compartment.

Comment

omg! are u serious??!?!?! i cant believe it!!!
                    My name is Rotem
                    I am 13 and in 7th grade
                    Started with 2 curves:
                    34º Therotical
                    50º Lumber
                    Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                    Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                    I live in South Florida
                    30º Theoratical
                    37º Lumber
                    4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Working...
                    X