Death after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death after surgery

Hi there my daughter had scoliosis surgery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on December 2, 2005, the next day it was discovered that she had liver damage, to approx 60% of liver, throught compression not a blood clot. 2 weeks from the day of surgery our beautiful daughter had passed away. When going for surgery this was the last thing on our minds, this has prompted me to file a complaint with the college of physicians and surgeons in Halifax, Nova Scotia, to try and get some answers about what happened to Sarah, her liver didn't damage itself, just wanted to put this out there.
    forever in out hearts
    thanks from Bridget

Dixie,
    I am so sorry for your loss! What a terrible tragedy! Thank you for posting. There was a recent thread in which someone was considering surgery for cosmetic reasons, I think. Words can't express the sadness I feel for you.
    I don't know what to say.
    Hugs,
    Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Oh my goodness, that is horrible. I am so sorry for your loss. When I read the title of this, I thought oh my gosh, was it anesthetic or something, but when I read liver damage, that was something I was not expecting.

I would definitely get on their back and make sure they get to the bottom of the line with this. Your daughter didn't cause herself to have liver damage.
      My name is Justine
      I am 17 years old
      I live in Canada
      March 2007 - 13 degree curvature
      June 2007 - 28.5 degree curvature
      January 2008 - 27 degree curvature
      CHEO June 26th

Comment

liver damage

Years ago Halothane was the anesthetic often used for scoliosis surgery; in rare cases it caused liver damage (Halothane hepatitis). This happened with all sorts of surgeries not just scoliosis. It is still used in some countries. I personally(I am an anesthetist) have not seen it used in over 10 years.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Dixie,

I'm so sorry.... I cried and cried when I read your post. How completely awful for you. I hope you get the answers you need and that you are able to make some sense of this dreadful, shocking loss.

Laura X
          UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
          10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
          Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

college of physicians and surgeons

Hey, just to let you know that the college is meeting for the 2nd time, so far they have not dismissed Sarah'sase, keeping my fingers crossed,
            will let you know what happens.
            dixie

Comment

Hi Bridget,
              I'm sorry to read about the loss of your daughter. Did they do an autopsy? What did they say was the cause of death? Keep pushing for answers, you have a right to know what happened.

Comment

Lindabar

Hi there, yes they did a autopsy in Ontario, and the medical cause of death is fulmimant hepatic failure, and I will keep pushing as long as I can.
                Thanks
                Dixie

Comment

College of Physicians and Surgeons in Nova Scotia

Hi there, its me Dixie, just wanted to do a update with what is happening with the college of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia.

They are meeting for the 3rd time on September 18, 2007, hopefully I will know something shortly, I have asked that I be able to meet with them, I havent' heard anything back from that as of yet.

Will keep you posted.
                  I do all of this for you Sarah.
                  Bridget

Comment

Dixie,

I am so sorry to hear that. That's horrible. I know how you feel to lose someone. How old was she?
                    My Scoliosis
                    My curves are 15 and 21.
                    I wear a Boston Brace
                    Don't think I am getting surgery
                    http://scoliosisadmin.proboards79.com/index.cgi

Comment

Dixie

Sarah had just turned 12 in the hospital.
                      Thanks from bridget

Comment

Dixie, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. I hope you are able to get some good answers in this inquiry.
                        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
                        X