Just needing to Vent....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just needing to Vent....

Well guys im nearly 5 wks post op and im starting to break down and cry very easily. I know i have read on here that so do end up real emotional and i think im going through that right now. Last night i broke down and told my partner i can't do this anymore and i wish i never got this done, im not trying to scare anyone away from this surgery but last night my rib pain was so bad i just needed to relax more.

Although my back pain is pretty good im on hardly any pain meds only for when my rib pain is bad, and it doesn't help the fact that here in Australia its winter and its really cold so my pain is probably worse in the cold. I am suffering a set back as the end of my incision on my back still is weeping and blistered in a big bubble but the Blood tests shows no sign of infection so its a wait and see situation which is really annoying since when i turn on my back the blister stings cos i knock it.

All i would like to know from anyone who has had the Anterior part done, how long does it take for your rib pain to get better and for your stomach to feel normal again????

Also i would like to let everyone know this recovery process has its up's and downs as some days you feel like your getting better and the next your back to square one, i find its because i over do it and the next day it catches up with me. But i have to realize im only 5 wks post op.....

Sorry for the long post but i really needed to get this all out!!!!!

Regards,

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Too much pain

It is WAY TOO SOON to be off pain meds or to use them only when it gets too bad.

It was a good year and half before I didn't need something now and then. Also, your symptoms were what I had when I tried to wean myself off narcotics too soon without the consent of my pain doc.

Allowing onself to have that much pain after such radical surgery impedes healing and is bad for the immune system.

Please get the proper medication to allow yourself to keep active enough and get the proper rest .
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Lee, i feel ya,.........

i wrote a new thread on this too, as i am about 5 weeks postop too and feeling the bad mood swings.- hang in there and keep trying to stay warm and comfortable- i understand the rib pain is worse than the back pain for most, so try to be patient with yourself. i did not have to have that done after all, so i really don't know. Thanks for sharing your feelings, and i hope you find some comfort from all of the help here. God bless... Lisa
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Yes, I totally understand. I'm almost a month post-op and experience the same things. Hang in there - PM me anytime you want to chat or vent more!

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I didn't have anterior with my surgery,but I heard it is the most painful part and takes longer to heal. I think you should still be taking pain meds - from reading through this forum it seems most people take meds for about three months at least and start to come off them slowly or lower the dosage at around four months. That was the case for me. Emotions did get the best of me especially for the first two months. I still have my moments and I am at almost 5 months. You need to be around people - I didn't want to be around anyone for the first few months but getting visits and phone calls from friends and family keeps your mind busy. Stay strong recovery is a long process and everyone here has went through or is going through the same thing and is hear to listen.

Sue

Comment

rib pain

By the way, I got excellent relief from rib pain with ice bags--yes even during cold weather. I went to sleep with one on each side!!!
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Lee,

I think it was about 2 to 3 months for the rib pain to let up significantly. At 5 weeks I was still taking all my pain meds regularly. If you don't the pain gets ahead of you and it's harder to reel it in. It was about that same time that I was very emotional. I can remember calling my son or husband crying wondering when they would be home from work. When one of them got home all they needed to do was give me a hug and lay on the bed with me for a little bit. Try not to over do. I think all of us here has done that a few times before we finally said okay, I will get maybe one thing done today. If I do, that's good. If I don't get it done, oh well!!!

It does get better, just remember to take each day for what it is. You are doing more than you could 2 weeks ago!

Stay on your meds.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Lee,

There's no shame in having emotions. You have just had your body rearranged and that quite an adustment!!! I found that not only my body got rearranged, but in many ways my mental state did too, for a while.

For me it was an emotional and physical rollercoaster for several months afterwards. I had days where I would cry for hours for no reason known to me. I just think I expected to feel better sooner than I actually did, and I would get frustrated.

I know it hard to accept, as independent and active people, that we have to take the time to allow our bodies to heal in their own way, not our way!!!

And the weather can be a factor.

I guess my point is that what you are going through is normal, and don't be ashamed like I was, to let the emotions out.

You deserve to let it out!!!

Shari

Comment

Lee,

I was going to say what Karen said about it being too soon to be getting off those meds. I know no one wants to take them forever, but you are still very early into your recovery. Remember, recovery is a process. It takes time. It's best to stay ahead of the pain rather than to wait until it gets unbearable and then try to treat it. And, the crying is perfectly normal and won't last forever. So many of us have been there, you're not alone.

Take care,
                  Brandi
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lee, LISTEN to what everyone is saying about the meds. You have to stay on them even if you think you can do without. You always have to stay a step ahead of the pain, or it gets too bad and you need twice the dose to get it to stop. You can slowly, very slowly, lower your dosage after a couple or more months, and you can space them out slightly further.
                    I'm 3 months post op and have very very gradually decreased my dose and increased the time between. But I still HAVE to take some and I have to stay on a schedule, or I pay! A couple of times in the beginning when I went a little too long between dosages or did a little more activity than usual, I went into a pain cycle that was horrible! That's when it takes more meds to work and you get depressed and go thru what you did.
                    If you hurt, you don't move, and if you don't move, you can't heal as well. So the whole theory is to stay pain free (or as close as you can) and move around and walk and not get depressed. Then you get better faster.
                    Hope you are doing better. Keep that head up.... you can do it!
                    Berta in Hawaii

Comment

yes-DITTO on the ice pads...Karen is so right!!! I passed mine on to Singer!!!
                      I used it all the time....

Comment

Working...
                      X