Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Brynn: I'm back!

Hello everyone!

I've been back from the hospital for about a week. I just got back on line after my friend lent me his laptop, which I'm using by typing on my stomach while lying in bed.

This process of healing has been challenging, for sure, and I can see that it's going to be a long one. But my surgery was a success, according to my surgeons. I will find out how good my correction is and how tall I am now when I go for my first appointment, on June 18.

Those of you who have read my son's account of my hospital experiences know that I had a scary setback a few days after my surgery, just when we thought things were going well. Thank God I survived. It did take a lot out of me and made my hospital stay longer. By the time I got transferred to the rehab hospital I was focused on just one thing: Home! So I got sprung, and here I am. I couldn't be here without the help of my wonderful son, who has extended his stay until June 26. I'm still not ready to be completely alone but I think I will be by then. One of the most difficult problems I have right now is that I still have a very distended stomach and major bowel problems. For some reason I rarely even have to pee, although I drink a lot of fluids. I wish I could be evaluated by a doctor who specializes in digestive problems because I need to get on top of this one. I know that my pain meds have a lot to do with it all, but I still need them. I'm taking Senecot, Milk of Mag, etc and am still not regular. I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this, from what I'm reading on the Forum.

On a positive note: My back pain is not severe (unless I try to go off my meds....) and I have a lot of energy for someone who only had surgery a month ago. I have been going on half hour walks each day, and just move right along. Often I find that I have to slow down my pace so I don't overdo things. If I do I find out by evening, when I experience tiredness and pain. But overall, I think I'm healing well.

Welcome back, all you who had surgery in May! I see that several of you were back on line in less than a month. Hooray for you!!

With Warm Thoughts,
    Brynn

Welcome Home! I've been reading your son's posts & I'm very glad you're home & well on the road to recovery. The whole surgery process is so intense but it's wonderful that you made it through the hardest part & are starting to feel stronger already. That you can take half hour walks is very encouraging.
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

I am glad to hear you are doing better Brynn. I hope things continue to progress and you can overcome the digestive problems.

Renee

Comment

Welcome back Brynn!!!

Ann
        44 year old female
        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
        Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
        Posterior Only, 9 hours
        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
        Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

welcome back Brynn!
          Yes, I too dealt with the, should I say it- indigestion & constipation when I came out of the hospital.... senecot helped a lot. That issue was way worse than the back stuff....but it too passed.....you'll be good soon...Lynne

Comment

Hooray! Welcome back, Brynn!

Comment

Welcome home Brynn!!!

We all know how rough of a time you're going through right now, but it does get better!!!

My mother gave me little red pills, I don't know what they were called, but they were stool softeners, and they help me so much. I was constipated for about a week after I was home and I was in some additional pain due to that.

I even got to the point where I allowed my Mother-in-law to stick a spoon up there to try and dig it out, I was desperate obviously. I laugh at it now!!!

But I took 2 of those little red pills and within hours I had produced a turd that I had no clue that something that size could have ever come out of me. Of course I was pretty doped up, and I wanted to measure it. Afterwards I never had a problem!!! Hope I wasn't too graphic, just like to share some of the funny stories too!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Brynn! So glad you're okay, I was worried about you. Feel better soon!
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Welcome back, Brynn! May I ask what was the setback you experienced following your surgery? Happy to hear you are home now and wish you an uncomplicated recovery.

BTW, has anyone heard from Mouna, the lady from Paris who had surgery earlier this year? I hope she's okay.

Best to you, Brynn. Take it easy.

Chris

Comment

Welcome back Brynn,

I take stool softeners once or twice a day and then if I need to a Women's Laxative at night. It's no fun when your belly is more of a problem that your back!
                    Good Luck with your recovery!
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Welcome back
                      Senecot helped me - I had to take it for two days before I went. It is suppose to work overnight but, not for me. I also took a stool softener three times a day. I hope you feel better soon.

Sue

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your supportive messages and stories.

I am cutting back just a bit on my pain meds because of my constipation but this is not easy. I feel achy. So which one is worse? It's pretty much a toss up at this point.

Shari: What a funny story!! I can really relate. I had to do that to myself (minus the spoon) about a week ago. So all I can do is take it one day at a time at this point..........There are so many of us in a similar position!! My doctor says this is due to a combination of pain meds and nerves being disturbed/damaged during surgery. The nerves should heal though, in time.

Chris: You can read about my complication on the past thread, "Update on Brynn". Last post: 6/5.

I'm hoping that people will keep posting about intestinal problems/stomach distention. I don't know about you but my surgeons didn't warn me about this. We are all such individuals though. Our recovery times vary greatly, even though we experience a lot of the same difficulties after surgery.

Brynn

Comment

Hi Brynn,

None of us know why we all recovery in different ways, and in the long run, it doesn't really matter. Because we do recover!!! One of my downfalls was comparing my slow recovery to others, and I now know what a mistake that was!!!

Take your time and let your body heal the way it needs to. Try and stay patient and confident that in time it will happen.

Shari

Comment

Welcome back!
                            Brandi
                            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman
                            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Welcome back, Brynn. I posted a message earlier but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace somewhere ...
                              I know what Shari says is true, that we all recuperate differently, but I'm jealous that you can walk for half an hour already. My surgery was the day before yours and I can't sit, stand or walk for very long without having to get flat again for awhile. I start getting low back/butt pain and want to try to lean forward, even with this huge brace on. I'm trying to wean off the strong meds, and the nurse practitioner suggested I alternate each dose with extra strength Tylenol. That seems to be working.

I didn't have constipation problems this time although I expected to since that was the case for my last two surgeries even before I left the hospital. The last time, I had horrible bloating and constipation and they kept giving me pills and suppositories with no relief. I kept insisting they give me an enema (having been down this painful path before) so they finally relented. They wanted me to get the enema and wait in bed. I said NO WAY - take me in the bathroom, give me the enema and I guarantee the problem will be over in 5 minutes, which it was.

The surprise I had coming out of surgery is that I have low blood oxygen. I came home on oxygen, and I'm seeing a pulmonologist to try and figure out what's causing it, since I have none of the diseases that cause this, i.e., asthma, lung problems, etc. Everything checks out okay. He is testing for sleep apnea, which will shock me if I have it, since I don't have any of those symptoms either. Has anyone had this problem coming out of surgery?

My followup with the surgeon is June 21 and I'll post to let you know exactly what he did during the surgery. He told me after the surgery, but I was on valium and was too loopy except to say funny stuff and laugh at myself.
                              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
                              X