Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. DeWald in Chicago- any feedback?? Florida Dr.s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. DeWald in Chicago- any feedback?? Florida Dr.s?

We just learned that our 14 yr. old daughter Erica has Scoliosis- 52'L and 34'T. We have gone to 2 Dr's so far, one is in Florida where we live, and one in Chicago- Dr. DeWald.

Can anybody tell me about their experiences with Dr. DeWald? I saw one other post that was good-at this point we are scheduled for surgery July 30th

We have 2 different approaches that are recommended- one is the anterior from the L5-L1, but we are still waiting on the MRI results to see how involved the sacrum is...the 1st Dr. wanted to do a posterior and fuse both curves, and did not ask for the MRI or note the concern about the sacrum.

This is so so hard- I want to do the very best for Erica, and I think finding the right Dr. seems to be the best way I can help. With family in Chicago, that is the area I am concentrating on-unless someone can help me find a great Dr. in Florida-

She is in no pain, and if a friend had not asked me about her poor posture and I had asked her pediatrician to take a close look, we might have continued to miss it.

So it is so hard to go from no pain, no symptoms, to a spinal fusion. Any input would be greatly appreciated- thanks for reading

Laura

hi

I am in Jacksonville FL/ my daughter has two curves 39' and 40' last check , 3 months ago.. OUr dr. here urged us to the Boston brace and the, of course, surgery-- however, i investigated the Schroth method of treatment-- and the CHENEAU brace.. we have just returned from VA where we had the CHENEAU brace made... she is being a trooper and really embracing this... I will NOT allow surgery-- i don't believe in it unless as an absolute last resort. Since your daughter isn't even in pain at this point perhaps you can do some nonsurgical and aggressive treatments....

best of luck to you..

my daughter is 13

Comment

Hi Laura

Our first Ortho. surgeon we went to (whom I respect highly, but felt he didn't have the experience to perform my dd surgery) was kind enough to give me the names of doctors he highly recommended. Dr. Dewald and his assoc. Dr. Hammemburg were 2 of them. In Florida, he recommended Dr. Harry Shufflebarger at Miami Children's Hosp. He was the past president of the SRS. I sent him xrays and photos and he corresponded with me by email, always answering my questions very promptly and generously. He never made me feel like I was imposing on his time. I would definitely go see him if I lived in FL. He has an associate, Dr. O'Brien, who I think is also regarded highly and is involved in a lot of research. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these doctors.

As far as surgery, it should definitely be a last resort. Sheena was diagnosed 2 years ago and we have tried everything from bracing to Clear Institute to Pneumex, all with disappointing results. From my experience and what I've read, bracing is really the only effective means of halting curve progression if it's started early enough and before skeletal maturity and even then, it's not guaranteed to work. I was 100% against surgery, but have come to believe that it's the best solution for my daughter. Everyone is different and you will obviously have to make that decision with your family and doctor.

Best wishes

Comment

Hi Laura,

I have seen a few surgeons in the Chicagoland area including Dr. Hammerberg who is Dr. DeWald’s colleague. Every surgeon I have seen has freely told me that Dr. Hammerberg is excellent. I think that coming from other surgeons who speak to this man’s reputation says a lot. I am an older adult and right or wrong Dr. Hammerberg’s advice to me has been very conservative and cautious. But if I were the mother of a teenager, I would feel very confident with him as my child’s surgeon. I have also become acquainted with a woman from Florida who last year underwent revision surgery in Miami by Dr. Michael O’Brien. She had an excellent outcome and highly recommends this surgeon.

Good luck with your decision.

Chris

Comment

I don't think anyone would choose surgery for their child except as a last resort. I tried multiple types of treatment for my son but nothing stopped the progression of his curves. He doesn't really have any pain either, except some muscle achiness now & then due to his back muscles having been weakened after wearing a TLSO brace for 4 years. We are not happy about the surgery but are trying to be positive about it for our son. Once curves are over 50 degrees consistently & are progressing, the medical consensus seems to be that they are highly likely to continue to progress.

Good luck with your decision, Laura.

I hope your daughter's new brace works for her, Scoliomom.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback- I am so totally sick about all this - I cannot tell you how much your feedback means to me..I read it several times!

We, (listen to me! wish it was me) Erica is scheduled July 30, and I think I have made the decision to move forward. Or at least I am going thru all the motions to. My fear is that if we wait, her surgery will be even more intense and restricting. Am I right in that? And with her curves where they are at, 52L/34T she seems to be in the catagory to continue to progess- from what I have read on oh, the 4 million websites...

thank you all again for your responses

Sad in Jax, Laura

Comment

I know how you feel. I still sometimes feel sick about the surgery too. Ever since we realized that 4 surgeons concurred about the need for surgery, I frequently walk around feeling stressed & with "butterflies" in my stomach. I wake up too early in the morning, thinking about it constantly. We still have a month until the surgery so I am plodding through trying to connect with people in similar situations. People on this forum have been helpful as have some people I've met who have either had fusions themselves or their children will soon or have had one recently.

Good luck with all of it & if I can help, please let me know. I've been reading everything I can for the last few months so I've learned a little but there is still so much to know about regarding scoliosis.
              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Prayers for Alexander and for you!

Dear Laurie, I can imagine the anguish you are going thru at this time as you are almost there- I just wanted to let you know we are saying prayers for Alexander and your family, and will be checking for updates to hear all the good news about Alexander-
                Stay strong, and sane! Thinking about you in Jax! Laura

Comment

Working...
                X