Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery

I could use some advice. We have had a recommendation for surgery next summer, but we can do it this summer if we would prefer. We decided to leave it up to fate and said to ourselves if an opening comes along before the second week in july, we would take that and leave the summer between her junior and senior high school years open.

Whoops! There's an opening!! Moriah is getting the surgery.

A surgical opening came up for June 19 and that's after her exams. Her recommendation was for surgery not as an emergency situation, but because she has had 2 progressive xrays since getting out of the brace, thoracic curve of 37 (post 18 months bracing), went to 41 six months later, and then to 46 in ten months. Even with the give or take of different xrays, that's 2 growth xrays in a row. So bummer. He told us about the surgical recommendation and mentioned that by next summer he believes there is a 95% probability that she will be a good candidate for surgery with a curve over 50 degrees, but if she would prefer to have surgery this summer with her 2 curves at 46T and 30Lm then that would be fine too. Poor guy, he thought he was letting us have control over the situation, she was quite shaken and she cried. He was really sweet and supportive telling her it was not her fault, she was an amazing patient who did everything right with this amazing attitude and great smile.

We had a second opinion at Stanford, it was the same thing, but without the smiley sweetness of her doc.

So is this an aesthetic choice, or is it a health choice? Why am I so worried? Why do i think this should be more than just a scheduling issue?

About scheduling: she is a sophomore and next year she will be a junior. She can't miss the first few weeks of school. So here's what we decided, if a surgical opening came along before the second week in June we would take it, if not, then lets wait for next summer and see what happens in the meantime --- she could get better or at least not continue to get more curvey. They called today and June 19 is ready and waiting. Looks like we'll take it. It does not feel like a peaceful decision, but when I choose not to do it, like her I get worried, I worry that its better now than later. IF we don't get it, its not like it goes away, it just gets put on a shelf where we still worry about it. It feels a little like I am giving in to this situation instead of trusting that it will get better, then I kick myself in the butt and say get over yourself, this is a hard recovery but these girls tend to be terrific at the recovery and it tends to "fix" the issue, but most of all, she is okay...it will be okay. My friend said if I am not a peace with this choice it is the wrong one, but my thought is how can I be at peace with surgery?

If she was unhappy with herself perhaps i would be, but she's not, she just doesn't want to miss out on surgery because she thinks it WILL get worse. I want to walk toward good health and not run from fear of what might happen. It seems healthier and more positive.

At the same time, he really is a terrific surgeon, she is in phenomenal shape, my health insurance thinks this is a great plan, and all the doctors we ask say do it. But why are we hesitant?

- Martha K

Hi Martha,

It sounds like you are getting a good start at figuring all the variables out. There are MANY things to take into consideration. Making a list of 'pros' and 'cons' helps a lot.

Please remember that scoliosis surgery is a VERY big deal. It should never be taken lightly or used as a "quick fix" for convenience. There are risks involved with the surgery. You would not feel very good if she had surgery and then something happened to make her be miserable more than she should, or heaven-forbid she has major complications that change her life forever. These are rare things, but they do happen. My point is that if you are choosing surgery sooner than later solely because it is more convenient, it is a wrong choice. Convenience and timing do play into the decision, but having a 40-something degree curve, without discomfort, with a Risser of zero, etc., etc., etc., all seem like they should be listed on the "not right now" side of the surgery decision list. I'm not trying to tell you what you should do - only you and your daughter's surgeon know best. However, I do know how big this surgery is, and how potentially life-altering it can be. Please make sure you consider everything before deciding on surgery sooner than later. Surgery now may be the right thing. You have to know that with 100% confidence. Good luck.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

The surgery is not an easy decision, especially if you have the opportunity to wait. I think your worries are normal for a mom. Part of me wishes I could wait until next year for my son (I can't). But in some ways, the waiting is so difficult & the worrying so consuming that it sounds psychologically simpler/easier to do it sooner. Then again, if some amazing thing happens & she doesn't need the surgery, that would be so great & you'd be glad you waited.

What a tough choice!
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
      X