Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheriting Scoliosis To Your Children

Hey,

First I just wanted to say (since I'm new to this forum)
    that I think this is an amazing forum! I have found it very useful so far
    (and I'm sure I will find it useful for a long time...)

My question (since I suffer from congenital scolosis): is there any way of knowing what are the chances
    of my children inheriting scoliosis, taking in mind that I have them
    with a woman with\without similar back problems

Thanks,
    Tomer
    Male
    Current Age: 21
    Congenital Lumbar Scoliosis (Hemivertebrae L3) 45 Degree
    Overgone fusion surgey (L2-L4) C.C.i Device 1996 (age 10)

It has been my observance that scoliosis is not passed down to the children. I didn't have kids because I thought the same thing. It makes sense. But, no one in my family has it, nor in the past ( save a bout with polio). So, I say, do what you will......Di

Comment

There is some research that suggests some idiopathic scoliosis can run in families/be hereditary. They have not found a genetic link or hereditary marker for congenital scoliosis (unless its associated with another syndrome or condition). Congenital scoliosis is often a fluke of nature during early fetal development. We were told the risks are less than 3% (the same as the general population) for having another child with congenital scoliosis after our son was born.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Well, I have scoliosis, my daughter has it with need of surgery, and my son has it, but his brace seems to work to keep his cruve down.
        Whe I think of all the genetic problems that a parent can hand down to their children, this is not the worst of them. Yes, treatment can be easier for some then others, but I don't think it should be a deciding factor in having children. If anything, if you have had it you'll know what to look for, have knowledge of treatments, and be able to give advice to your child.

Emily

Comment

I have scoliosis and my oldest daughter had a slight curve that she outgrew. My younger daughter had to have surgery to correct her scoliosis. It will be interesting to see what happens with my grandschildren. My oldest daughter has a boy and a girl. My youngest just started college and doesn't want to have children.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
          X