An optomistic view to those considering surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An optomistic view to those considering surgery

Hello all! I just wanted to share the great news I just received! As some of you may know I am active duty military. I am also a spinal fusion patient as well. I currently have 2 rods and 16 screws in my spine. Well I have been deployed to Iraq (a year before I had the surgery to correct my spine and in pain!) I am now going to South Korea for a year! I just want to tell everyone who is afraid of not 'being normal' after having spinal fusion to tough it out, work through it. In the end it will definitely pay off! I have still managed to keep my military career and live with 3lbs of metal in my back! I am also able to run, do situps (on a ball though, cause my back no longer arches anymore) and do pushups. I can also meet all the other requirements that the military requires! (i.e. chem gear, m-16 training, and wearing kevlar for prolonged periods of time) So if you think just because you had/going to have spinal fusion means that you won't be able to go back to the way you used to, I guess I'm proof that you can. Thanks for listening/reading and have a blessed day!

~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Thanks for the post! I'm so glad you are doing well and it is always nice to hear optimistic stories for those of us who are going through the process so soon.

Best of luck on your next tour of duty,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Shelley,

Congratulations on your great recovery, and thank you for your valuable service, not only to our country, but to this forum as well!!! You are an inspiration to all of us in more ways than you can imagine.

Thanks for your dedication, courage and your strenght!!!

I'm in awe,
      Shari

Comment

Thanks for the info, this really is exactly what has been on my mind, i.e. will i be "normal". Here i am worrying about skiing and just getting to work and you are really getting on with it. So good luck Shelley.
        PS. I see we are both T5 to L1 , well that's what he's proposing for me anyway - it is unusual to find a perfect vertebrae match!!!!
        Last edited by MadeinMelb; 05-10-2007, 08:22 AM.
        Gen, aged 49
        Thoracic curve approx 64*
        Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
        Surgeon: Peter Turner

Comment

Dear Shelley,

Thanks so very much for your post. It is helping me a lot. My surgery is next Tuesday, May 15. I've prepared well and I'm no longer scared, but I am concerned about what I'll have to give up re: exercise, yoga, squats, lunges, etc. It's comforting to know that you haven't had to give up much at all. One thing though. Are you sure that you aren't putting stress on your remaining lumbar vertebra by being so active? Are you getting checked out regularly?

Brynn

Comment

Hi Brynn,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong!!! Hope to hear from you soon!!!

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by brynnski
              Dear Shelley,

Thanks so very much for your post. It is helping me a lot. My surgery is next Tuesday, May 15. I've prepared well and I'm no longer scared, but I am concerned about what I'll have to give up re: exercise, yoga, squats, lunges, etc. It's comforting to know that you haven't had to give up much at all. One thing though. Are you sure that you aren't putting stress on your remaining lumbar vertebra by being so active? Are you getting checked out regularly?

Brynn
              I get checked out once a year during my regular physical. I try not to over do somethings, but I'm not one to just sit around the house and mope. After I was released from the hospital I was out walking in the mall with my little walker and everything, granted it hurt like the dickins and I did do alot of crying and take my meds, but everything turned out right in the end and my doctor encouraged me to get back to what I used to do and not to let the hardware or the fusion keep me back. I've even been cleared to get on rollercoasters, but I don't think I'm brave enough just yet.
              25 yr old female =^_^=
              Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
              Lumbar curve 23 degrees
              surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
              Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Working...
              X