Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting scar from sunburn...especially while swimming

Hi all
    It's been 6 months since my surgery, and I know I must be careful this summer when it comes to not letting my scar get sun burnt, but I was wondering about ya'lls experiences with swim suits. Do you find it better to get a one-piece or at least one that covers up the majority of the scar, or have you tried just putting lots of sun screen on? As far as normal clothes go, I have found a couple summer tops to wear this summer that have a "sports bra"-like back to them so it covers up my scar, but for swimming, my current two-piece swim suit shows a little bit of it. I just know I don't want it to get burnt. I am certainly not one who wants to cover it up normally, because actually, I'm quite proud of it! My prom dress even exposed it haha, so I was just wondering about the whole sunburning issue. Thanks everyone!
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
    "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

The only thing i can think of is swim with a T Shirt on and when your out of the sun take it off and enjoy your bathingsuit,,,,,if your in the sun just keep it covered ..it will heal better....
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

**sunburn issue**

hey!! this is gonna be my first summer with my scar...lol...but um wat im doing is just wearing a tank top that matches my bikini bottoms and im just gonna wear my top under tha tank! emial me if you have any questions LilCutiPie_07@yahoo.com ~ellen
      much <3
      ~*ellen*

curves before and after surgery*oct6 03*
      before--51 and 21
      after--15 and 14

Comment

Your scar should be fine with lots of high spf sunscreen (maybe spf 50). Just remember to apply it every day, several times a day. Also, if you have long hair like me you can wear it down or in a low ponytail to hang over the scar. I also agree that its probably a good idea to wear a tank or tee over a bathing suit when you're not in the water.

Good luck!
        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
        L2 to T4
        Braced for 4 years
        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Ive found that spf 45 or 50 works fine. good luck!

Comment

Sunburn

Hey! I had surgery in february. When I swim I put sunscreen along my scar and where the draining tubes were. It seems to be working fine. I also wear a bikini and it shows almost all of my scar. If you have any questions about it you can email me at katlover910@cox.net

Amanda

Comment

scar

I bought a 2 piece with a racer back. It covers all my mid back scar and leaves some of the shoulder scar so i have less to slabber sunscreen on.
              K
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hey I hardly ever where sunscreen or a t-shirt. I don't mind the scar it's part of me and my scar has never been burned bad enough that it hurts more then the rest of my skin. I say don't worry about. Worrying probably causes more stress, so just relax. -Ali (3yrs post surgery)

Comment

i wouldnt suggest swimming with a T on. Hold the shirt up to the light, the amount of light that is passed through is also the same for UV radiation. Just be careful, apply sunscreen every couple hours or as needed when in water(washes off easy)

Comment

Working...
                  X