• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help - exercise ball

hi all my dear friends...
    I have joined this forum now ...
    I am a 22 years old Girl ... I have got scoliosis with the 40 degree curve
    I used brace when I was 17 for the first time ... but it didnt help me ... because I hated the brace and didnt use it much !!
    I also didnt do any exercise or special sport ... so bad ...
    2 years ago, Dr told me not to put on the brace anymore ... So I left the brace ...
    Now I live with no brace or sugery ... but the important is that I DO EXERCISE AND SPORTS LIKE SWIMMING...

I have now one Question :
    do you know about exercise ball ( or physio ball or stable ball ) ... ??
    I have one but I dont know if this thing is good for me or not ??
    Can anyone help me and share the idea with me ??
    do u have any practise which I can do ...?
    thank you.
    22 years old - girl - 40 degree curve - to the left - no surgery yet

Hello,
    I am no expert on this, but I used the exercise ball when I did physical therapy. So here are some exercises they had me do:

Lay on the ball on your stomach and put arms out in front of you and balance, then lift and stretch opposite foot to arm (i.e. left arm out and right leg out).

Lay your back on the ball with feet on floor and arms behind your head, sit up as far as you comfortably can.

Sit on ball lift 1-2lb. weights straight over head while keeping shoulders down.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know.

Leslie

Comment

hi ...
      thank you for the reply
      but I didnt understand this ... please tell me more so that I can understand the exercise. thank you.
      Sit on ball lift 1-2lb. weights straight over head while keeping shoulders down.

Comment

Ck this website for excellent excercises on the stability ball esp. for scoliosis:
        http://www.iscoliosis.com/

http://www.iscoliosis.com/video.html...ocookie=56.wmv

Good luck. Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by metillan
          hi ...
          thank you for the reply
          but I didnt understand this ... please tell me more so that I can understand the exercise. thank you.

You sit on the ball and hold 1-2 pound weights in your hands, then lift your arms out sideways and then slowly lift up until your arms are extended over your head. Try to keep your shoulders down as you lift the weights over head, not shrugged up to ears.
          Last edited by Leslie7; 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Leslie7
            thank you very much ....

harmoniesdj
            thank you ... Ive seen it before but I guess maybe there is more exercises you know to tell me

Comment

I lay on my back on the ball and let my back curve over the ball. When I first started doing it I could only lay on it for a minute because it hurt, but now I could lay on it forever. It stretches out and loosens your back muscles. It feels great.
              April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
              Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
              Now 18 years old
              Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

Comment

Working...
              X