Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to wear with spinecor

Hi everyone,

I will be getting a spinecor soon and I was wondering, are there any limitations to what you can wear? How tight can your top and pants be without it showing? or even if you can see it a little, what are you all wearing?
    April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
    Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
    Now 18 years old
    Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

My daughter has a SpineCor, she is 16. It is truly almost invisible. She still wears her same low cut jeans, tight works but not glued on tight. With respect to shirts - the show your belly kind don't work but almost anything else as long as its not painted on tight. You can wear a longer tank or "wife beater" type shirt under the short shirts and that seems to work. Some sleeveless shirts work but not tank tops. Depending on the configuration of your straps, some of the low cut neckline type shirts may not be covered up. All of her skirts and shorts work well. If you're going to buy anything new I would definitely wait until you actually get the brace and try it on with your own clothes first. Hope this is helpful - good luck with your brace.

Comment

I never heard the term "wife beater" shirt. Either it is a term that is used where you live or I am very sheltered.

I agree with you. My daughter doesn't like skimpy clothes so we are lucky. Some little t-shirts are too thin and tight fitting to look good over the brace. But basically the brace doesn't show through clothes.

We just had snaps put into panties for Nicole. They are adorable. She will wear them with tank shirt undershirts that I bought in the ladies dept. If she likes this better than bodysuits, I will have more made. I was so tired of washing body suits.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

What to wear?

My daughter needed to go with pants that had a slightly larger waist. She used to wear a slim, but now she wears a regular. (Unless the waist is elastic, and then it doesn't matter.) Because of where her curve is, she has a strap that goes over her shoulder. Therefore, if the neck line of a shirt is too wide, it shows. She prefers a neck line which is on the smaller side. I don't think all patients have the shoulder strap like she does though. I have to say, she has adjusted to her new clothing nicely and everything looks great.

Sarah

Comment

My daughter doesn't care if her brace shows but she is only 6 yrs old. She also has a shoulder strap but a smaller neck line does cover it. My daughter and I are into the 70's hippie type cloths which works well. Flowing sleeves and untucked loose waist lines(not frumpy). pants on the hips with a slight bell bottom. The hipster pants sits right on her waist, I am always tucking in the back strings. I have been very strict with her about shoes. NO HEELS for her.

I also think you may want to wait to see how your old clothes fit it may not be an issue.

Christine
          from CT, USA
          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

Melissa

I tryed your suggestion about panties with my daughter. No go she likes the 60.00 bodysuits from spinecor! I also go fed up with washing. So I came up with a system. We have 4 bodysuits so every Sunday night I wash her brace and bodysuits and we are ready for the week. I only have to handwash once in between. What a system.

Hopefully my daughter will be open to other ideas soon.
            from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

Christine,

My Spinecor bodysuits are all ripping at the snap area. I had the tailor fix most of them with new snaps. I don't know if this is because it's part spandex. Do you wash in cold? Do you hang dry? Nicole is wearing bodysuits sometimes and the panties sometimes. I am not about to get rid of the bodysuits after spending all that money.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Mellissa

I put the whole brace plastic and all in laundy bags and toss the bodysuits in washer on gentle cold cycle with soap (NO FABRIC SOFTENER) the dry everything on low heat in the dryer. I asked Dr. Coillard if that was okay and she said "perfect". When our snaps get funky I have a seamstress replace with velcro.
                from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                  I never heard the term "wife beater" shirt. Either it is a term that is used where you live or I am very sheltered.
                  Melissa,

A wife beater is a term used for those athletic type white undershirts that men sometimes wear. To be honest, when I first heard the term a few years ago, I also had no idea what it meant. Then my daughter explained it to me. I am surprised that with three teenagers, they have never enlightened you!

Maria
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Maria,

I figured out what it meant, I had just never heard the term. Very funny!! But also very sad since there are men who do beat their wives.

Anyway, I think I have ruined many bodysuits by washing them in hot or warm when I should be washing in cold. I also don't put them in a net bag. I do put the bottom brace in a pillowcase.

I thought about velcro but wasn't sure if it would make too much noise in the bathroom at middle school. I just bought a roll of snaps on tape from Walmart for under 3 bucks. Because I have no sewing ability, I have to pay someone else to do the job for me. One roll has 14 snaps on and each panty gets 2 snaps.
                    Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                      Maria,

I figured out what it meant, I had just never heard the term. Very funny!!
                      Melissa,

When I first heard the term "wife beater", I had NO IDEA what the kids were talking about!

p.s. I too have zero sewing ability and have to pay others for every little sewing job!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X