Surgery for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery for the first time

I'm currently on the waiting list to have surgery on my Scoliosis. I have two curves and the doctor said that my operations needs to be done in 2 stages due to the durve. I'm 19 and I've been doing karate for almost a year and i dont want to give it up. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the surgery?

I'm kind of confused from what i've been told. I came across some information that said that i could do competative sports 6-12 months after surgery, but my doctor said that i might have to give up karate because a knock to the back could cause a rod to break.
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Hi Cina,

I understand your confusion, because at your age you will most likely recover quite well. But you also have to understand that there will be certain sports that you may not want to participate in afterwards. I wouldn't want to be kicked in he back after having this surgery.

Of course, I much older than you, but was always an athlete. At my age I just wanted to know that I would be able to golf again, and I did. There will still be activities that you will be able to do with ease, you just have to be aware of some of the things that can cause you to have complications in the future.

Do what feels right, just think about the long term effects!!! Your young and you will feel great, but do you want to go through the surgery again because someone kick you in the back.

Just my opinion,
    Shari

Comment

hi cina

good look for the surgery.

the good points for it? well everyone has different good and bad points-mine are that i am now not in any pain whatsoever,i can live my life as a 'normal' person and do the things i want to do, im also taller and have a waist so can wear nicer clothes he he

personally i will be careful for the rest of my life not just for the 1st year. iv come to terms with that quite easily as there were a lot more things that i couldnt do before the surgery than what i can now, 7 months down the line.

its a matter of putting things in perspective.

hope this helps

sai

Comment

Hey Sai

I'm making the most of what i can do now. I've just been told that I'll have to give up karate because they dont want anyone kicking me in the back and causing on fo the rods to break. I'm just seeing what happens for now.

I'm around the 5'10 - 5'11 height range so i'm hoping i dont get any taller then i already am.

I'm just taking it as it comes for now. Thanks for your help.

Jacinta
        2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Working...
        X