X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Roth

Has anyone seen Dr. Roth in Michigan? Any comments? Thank you

Dr. Roth

I have just scheduled surgery with Dr. Roth for May 14. I am scheduling another appointment since I have more questions for him. I knew about him from a friend who had surgery in 2000. I also had an appointment with Dr. Stanley Lee at UM/Ann Arbor, who trained under Drs. Lenke/Bridwell in St. Louis, who are recognized experts at revision surgery. Both doctors' diagnoses and recommended treatments were virtually identical - 2 osteotomies and fusion to the sacrum. I liked both doctors; Dr. Lee was friendly and informal; Dr. Roth was slightly more formal, but my friend assures me that he is very caring and attentive. (Quite a change from my original surgeon.) I chose Dr. Roth for a purely practical reason: he is affiliated with Beaumont/Troy, his office is in Troy, and I live in Bloomfield Hills, very close. Since I live alone and will be unable to drive for 3 months, I will need to rely on family and friends for a lot of care, and that almost 2-hour round trip to Ann Arbor seemed a bit much to ask. Let me know if you have more questions that I might be able to answer at this point. What are you having done?
    Trulyaries
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Thank you for reponding, trulyaries. I have the same thoughts about Dr. Roth. He is knowledgable and confident, and very professional. I don't think he quite gets my sarcasm, but he never seems to busy for my long line of questions. I had also seen Dr. Vibert at Troy Beaumont, but Dr. Roth's experience pervailed. I will be having (and I still haven't accepted this) a spinal fusion from T6 - L1 on April 16. Can you tell me why you are having another surgery? My biggest fear is that this will not be my one and only. As I have very little pain now, I do not want to cause more later. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you as well. It is comforting to know that there is someone else out there close by going through this. Thank you again for responding. I would love to hear any more comments you may have regarding your experiences.

Comment

Dr. Roth

Azalea: I'm so glad that you feel good about Dr. Roth also. I'm a little skittish after my first two surgeries. For each of my surgeries, I don't feel I really had a choice NOT to do them. My first one was for an S-curve scoliosis; it was fairly well balanced, so I didn't suffer much of any outward deformity and in fact when doctors would look at me they wouldn't think it was very bad until they saw the X-rays then it was "whoa!" Problem was my spine was compressing downward, I lost almost 2 inches in height (I'm short as it is), always in pain, and I was concerned about eventual compression of my heart, lungs, etc. I had the surgery in 2000, and was doing well, although not without pain, but getting better all the time. Then in late 2004, early 2005, I started having nerve pain down both legs, without a doubt the worst pain I ever had, worse than the surgeries. So I had to have a second surgery, at which time I had hardware added to fuse me to L5 and do a laminectomy to stop the nerve pain. That's when the trouble started. Since the surgery I haven't been able to stand up straight, and I have quite a bit of pain, not only in my buttocks, but referred pain all up and down my back and legs. I was told on this website that it's not unheard of that a surgery such as I had can result in flatback syndrome. I never expected to have a second surgery, much less a third one now. You didn't say why you have to have your surgery - is it scoliosis? I'm not the expert, and I didn't fully realize this at the time of my first surgery, but apparently additional surgeries are not unheard of in cases like mine. On the other hand, if you follow this website, there's a whole lot of people who have successful surgeries and are without pain or additional problems (I'm jealous ). If you would like to send me a private message with your personal email, I would be happy to stay in touch and exchange "local" information. Good luck.
        Trulyaries
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
        X