Clothing for the Crooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing for the Crooked

Looking for your input on clothes. Is anyone aware of a line of clothing that is remotely close to comfortable us???? I have an S curve, and spend the majority of my day "adjusting" my bra/waistband. I was recently laid off from my office job, and have been wearing some pretty ugly (but ohhhhh so comfortable clothes) around the house. I have been amazed at the effect it has on your mind/body. I've been using this time to get in some extra swimming, but fight the swimsuit as well.

I feel silly posting this question, when there are a lot more serious issues to discuss, but didn't know where else to turn.........Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I wear.......

I wear the loose clothing that Coldwater Creek sells. I cannot wear anything that has a fitted waistband. I know nothing about getting anything in underclothing that would fit better, but there are some prosthetic locations who do customize bras for those who have had mastectomies that might be willing to help.

Comment

Have you tried bra strap extenders? They look like additional bra hooks, and make the strap that much longer so that it can go around your hump easily. As for dresses, I know that A-line styling is the most flattering for me, and that is what my wedding dress was. It didn't accentuate my hump or uneven waste line that a more traditional princess cut did. I also still stay away from darts and very fitted clothing.
      Just some ideas....
      Cena
      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

I have no waist on my left side, and basically look like a "K". I wear the loose fitting clothes (which seem to twist as I walk). But the bra is absolutely the worst!! The left side prevents doesn't allow for a snug enough fit to keep the bra from riding up. Unfortunately, I need a 34D, otherwise, I'd just forget the whole thing. In order to keep it from riding up (above the hump), it needs to be so tight, that you can't stand to wear it. I've tried sports bras, with no success so far. The custom bra might be a good option. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

You might want to check out "posture bras" that have heavy-duty back and a front closing. Look on the internet - stores do not seem to stock them. I have 93 deg. kyphosis on right at around T3 - T5, and wearing a posture bra FINALLY enabled me to not have to spend the entire day pulling up the right strap that had slipped off my shoulder
          As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

What I wear...

I can't help in the bra dept. but for shirts i have found that LaneBryantCatalog.com carries shirts that fit me great. The only problem is they are too long - especially since my top half is shorter from the scoli but I buy shirts from there and then have them hemmed to a more modern length. They are cut generously and don't narrow toward the bottom so even with my "k" shape as you mentioned, they hang nicely over my big hip side and once hemmed I don't feel like I'm wearing "baggy" out of style clothes.

I also find that Old Navy shirts fit me well, mostly just the t-shirts (especially the trademark logo ones). I buy them in the XXL misses and they are just the right length and are not tight on my back and they don't get narrow toward the bottom.

I don't think it's silly to think about clothing. It is very hard to find things that fit right and you feel comfortable in. I also love the low rise jeans out now. These fall just below my big hip and seem to hang better than the old high waisted jeans. If I look in the mirror at the back of my jeans, the pockets on the low rise ones look very even - in the older style jeans one side of my butt always looked out of place compared to the other side, probably because they are crooked and the pockets arent' even when you wear them.
            43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
            62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
            Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

Comment

Gap, Banana Republic and New York and Company fit me well. I can't wear dresses because they end up getting really twisted. I also can't wear button-up shirts (unless they're 2 sizes too big) because they don't fit over my rib hump. Does anyone have the problem with one sleeve being longer than the other? I wear Maidenform and Victoria's Secret bras. They fit me well. My curve is from T3-L1 and 44 degrees.
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees
              December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2
              Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Working...