Spokane Shriners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spokane Shriners

Does any one have any experience with the Spokane Shriners? We're looking at possible surgery and I'm trying to get as much info. as possible. Thanks!
    Kate's Mom

We are facing a similar decision about using Shriner's in Spokane and would appreciate any and all feedback about the hospital and about Dr. Osebold.

3 1/2 years of bracing for our daughter, a clean bill of health and then the crushing news 6 months after removing the brace that the curve has increased to the point that surgery might be the best option.

Comment

Katie's dad - have you been able to get a second (or third) opinion about the right surgical treatment for her? At 3-1/2, that is a very young age to be considering such a "final" surgery as fusion or something similar. Make sure you have enough information that you can make the right choice, for her, at the right time, based on the recommendations from PEDIATRIC orthos who have extensive experience in treating very young children with scoliosis. Good luck... I'd love to hear how she's doing and what her details are. My best.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Our daughter wore a Boston brace for 3 1/2 years and was taken out of it December, 2003, at age 16 after her x-rays showed spine was mature.

6 month later she has gone from a 33 degree upper curve to a 45 degree upper curve. Surgery becomes an option if the next x-ray, in 3 months, exceeds 50 degrees.

We're doing our homework early so that we have options available if and/or when we reach this point in September.

We figure now is the time to identify a good surgeon before we're in a crisis mode.

All recommendations are appreciated!

A loving father,

Katie's Dad

Comment

Hi Katie's dad... I misread (horribly) your post - I thought your daughter was 3-1/2, not that she's been wearing a brace for 3-1/2 years - please accept my apologies! I'm terribly embarrassed about that.

My daughter is now 18 and wore a brace for about 6 months, shortly after being diagnosed at age 13. Her scoliosis is a lumbar curve of about 40 degrees with an upper compensatory curve of about 26 degrees. If her next checkup in September shows further progression of the curve (it has progressed on average of about 5 degrees per year) then we'll be seriously considering surgical repair for several reasons - she is still young and the recovery rate for teens is better than if you are older when having surgery; she is still under our (parents) insurance plan; she is still living at home (help following surgery is more available); etc. There are SO many things to consider. I'm glad you are doing your homework. Both of my scoliotic children have their orthopedic care at our local childrens hospital - our home away from home (ugh).

Again, please know I misread your post and didn't mean to sound like an alarmist. I feel badly about it...
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

scoliosis in washington state

You might also want to check with the docs at Seattle Children's for a 2nd opinion. We have been very impressed with the thoroughness of the docs we have seen in Seattle, and its only what, about a 5-6 hr drive for you? We come to SEattle from near Boise... 9-10 hr drive 2-3 times a year.

Just a thought anyway..........

hugs, Heidi
            Heidi (mom to 3 boys, Sean is 9 and has LCDH, SBS, is TPN, O2, and Bipap dependent, has SVC stenosis/stent x4, severe malignant scoliosis fused twice from T1-L2, halo traction for 2 months, severe restrictive lung disease, a CVL and GT, Fundo x2, and is one of my heroes.)

Comment

Dr. Osebold and Spokane Shriners

I had two surgeries, one when I was 6 yrs old (1986) and the other when I was 9 years old (1989) . I saw both Dr. Osebold in Shriners (spokane) and Dr. Wagner in Seattle. I believe my surgeries were at Children's Hospital and Swedish Hospital in Seattle, Washington. I would say that Dr. Osebold is a very nice doctor. As far as my surgeries went, I have congenital scoliosis so my curves proceeded after the first fusion and they had to reoperate on me and put a metal rod in my back to hold my spine in place.

My case is very severe so I don't know how much help I would be, but all I can say is that you should make an appointment with Osebold and see how you like him, shriners was very good to me as a child, I don't remember being scared once when I had to go there to see him.

I hope this helps some. Take care.

Comment

Kate's Mom,
                We are almost neighbors. We live north of LaGrande, OR. We used Shriners in Portland, OR. I think that the care at all of the Shriners Hospitals across the nation is universal. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else with my daughters for their different orthopedic problems. I liked the fact that everything is under one roof. Doctors, nurses, offices, clinics, surgery wards, etc. What I really like the most is they are geared to children. I am also sure the Children's Hospital in Seattle is the same way. The care our children have received is incredible. We have one that is a wait and watch on scoliosis, one is in a brace for Kyphosis, and the third one just had surgery on 3/15/05 for Kyphosis. Our third one also has to have surgery on each of her feet after her back is healed. It is so nice to know that her records, x-rays, and everything are all under one roof. Nothing is ever left in the clinic office, three blocks away (just an example).

Good luck to you and let us know how things go.

Nikki

Comment

Working...
                X