8 yr old surgery w/ spica cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 yr old surgery w/ spica cast

My daughter will be having surgery in December. She had a 52 degree lumbar curve in June. Her curve is caused by neurofibromatosis. Her scoliosis is in her lumber area (L1-L4), so the plan is for her to be in a spica cast for 6 - 8 weeks after surgery. After that she will be in a brace for 6 months or so.

Is there anybody out there who has had experience will spica casts and tilting wheelchairs? I am really dreading this!!

I don't have direct experience with spica casts, but know a few parents who do. I'm sure they'd be happy to email you with suggestions. I have heard that the cast is more difficult for the parents to get used to than the patients, especially if they are very young. How old is Courtney?

Once home, keeping her occupied and mentally active will be the trick. Some parents found using a bean bag chair is good because it offers support easier than pillows to prop up with. It also allows them to be closer to the floor so they can be somewhat independent. Maybe have friends and/or family come by every few days with a cheap treat to break up the monotony. Seeing visitors and different faces helps keep the boredom to a minimum.

If you would like to email parents with spica experience, let me know and I'll send you their email addresses. I'm sure they would be happy to share. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

My best,
    Carmell
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I would love to talk to anyone with experience with a child in a spica cast. My daughter is 8 years old so it will be a little bit harder than dealing with an infant or toddler in a cast.

Comment

Working...
      X