Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. LaGrone

Hello,

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has had surgery or is contimplating having surgery with Dr. La Grone.

My email address is: askforKen@aol.com

2nd Request

Hello,

I am making plans for surgery and would really appreciate any info you can provide.

Thank you!

Comment

i have had surgery done by dr lagrone in amarillo nov 2001

Comment

Ken,

Dr. LaGrone has operated on me twice, and I hold him in very high regard. He did me a world of good with my revision in 2000. He's a straight shooter about what to expect. And, he is very responsive to questions or concerns post-op. If you're traveling for surgery, it's really important to have a doctor who will respond to phone calls and letters. My earlier scoliosis surgeries were with another surgeon, and he was elusive post-op so I have a keen appreciation for how responsive Dr. LaGrone is. My experience with him has been extremely good, and I recommend him highly. Alyssa

Comment

Hey Ken,

This is Theresa. We've "talked" a long time ago both on this forum and the flatback forum. I am now 8 months out from my surgery with Dr. LaGrone. I had an osteotomy at the L2, iliac screws to the pelvis, and he extened the my fusion from S1 to S2. I am now able to walk in an upright position without leaning forward!!!!!!! If you would like more info let me know.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,
            you said if would like more info you would be willing to share. It is great to hear that you can sit easier, but because I am considering revision with LaGrone too, would like to know about stamina during day, physical limitations, do you expect that you will feel this good the rest of your life or will problems return later in life? Is this revision really a miracle that solves all the problems as it seems from what I read from so many on this site, or are there still limitations, still pain, problems that will return, what is the reality? Thanks for any frank information you will share
            scoli appeared age 15
            untreated until age 30
            41* T & 72* L
            Harrington Rod T4 to L4
            33* T & 53* L
            neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
            Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

Taylor,

I just saw your post today. In answer to your questions: About my stamina during the day - I had my last surgery on May 2007 with Dr LaGrone, I went back to work full time the second week in August. I was actually putting in 10 hour days for the month of Aug and Sept! I work with the student's records in an elementary school so I was very busy at the beginning of school updating everything and enrolling new students. I would come home exhausted and fall into bed and start all over again the next morning. It wasn't easy!! I have been going to pain management for about two and a half years now. I do take pain medications daily!!! My pain management doctor has said that I have all three kinds of pain - muscular, nerve, and structural. I will probably have this for the rest of my life. I do get tired of it at times, but if I hadn't done something originally, I was heading for a wheel chair later on in life. My scoliosis was never braced as a teen so I have a lot of bone deformity on the inside. I am walking in a very straight upright position!! It just took a little longer than normal to get to that outcome. I won't run again, skydive (never wanted to), or bungee jump (never wanted to either). I do hike and walk a lot, I garden, cook, clean house, paint, mow the lawn, travel, go to plays and movies. Pretty much everything that I did before. Somethings you will have to find a new way to do things. I can't look under the fridge or the couch, someone else has to do that due to the flexibility issue. I also don't lift heavy items. I might in the future need to have something done with my neck so we took some baseline x-rays to have for when that time comes. I am happy with the way I look (even though I'm two inches shorter). I know my heart and lungs should be okay space wise for the future. If you have any other questions please ask.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
              X