Bad Nightmare about Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Nightmare about Surgery

So I kept half waking up this morning in the middle of this terrible nightmare where I had just woke up after having scoliosis surgery. (I know this sounds so 5-year-old problem, but apparantly I have been thinking about surgery too much lately). I guess my back was aching when I was sleeping, so I was dreaming about how I my pain meds after surgery were wearing off. Oddly, In my dream I was walking around right after I got up, and I went swimming in a lake the same day.... lol... but I just felt sick when I woke up and the thought of my nightmare makes my stomach turn. I don't know why it was so disturbing. I think I keep thinking that if I have surgery (which I really need cause my curves are progressing) I am just oging to completely screw up my back for life and it's all going to be my fault because it's my decision at this point whether I want surgery or not. ahhh, anyone else have weird dreams like this?

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

abbie-I had a few nightmares that woke me up....this surgery is a big deal & the waiting for it is extremely hard...the few weeks before can really drain you. You are so young so don't rush into anything. what are your curves? Ly

Comment

My curves are 42*T, 32*L, so not horrible, but they have been getting consistantly worse every year and I have been having a lot of pain and discomfort. I have been given the option of surgery, and my doctor was frank with me and said that at my progression rate I would probably need surgery some day, if not now. I just feel like I should get it over with, but the decision comes with a lot of risks so I'm not sure what I am going to do........ ahh!

Abbie
      aBbiE
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

Oh Abbie, what a decision to have to make. Dear oh dear, life is full of choices isnt it, some good and some absolutely lousy. When we have a problem on our mind it often comes out in our dreams, its scarey isnt it and shakes us up as well.

On one hand it is a good idea to have surgery while you are young, but I dont know. Could you get a second opinion? There has also been some talk on this forum about Muscle activation technique. NOW I am NOT an expert and dont know if it works and dont usually advocate alternative surgery, but I am learning slowly to look at it.

Have a look at the posts on it. Maybe look at Physical therapy. Do some more research, read about other peoples experiences which you are doing no doubt, then think about what the best thing to do would be. It would not be urgent sweety for you to have surgery straight away, so I would watch and wait a little longer.

My opinion only.

God bless
        Macky
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Thanks both of you, It's always refreshing to hear someone else's opinion. This is the second doctor that I have been to that has suggested that surgery may help me, but that ultimately the decision is up to me. They are both known to be very hesitant to recommend surgery, so I am just completely confused. I keep going back and forth in my mind about it! It's so frustrating anyone on this forum probably knows. I have been through physical therepy like 3 times, none of which helped, have a TENs unit, had cortizone shots for thoracic pain, etc etc etc! I know that I won't fall over dead of pain if I don't have surgery, but the prospect of my back getting worse and worse is sickening, and then I'd end up having surgery anyways. But then again, who knows what my curves are going to do? I feel like it's now or never because I'm in the middle of college and will be going to medical school in a few years so I will be needed to be in full working order my then.
          Any more advice from anyone? It would be appreciated, I know I've asked about this before, but I have an appointment dicussing surgery Feb. 12th, and I want to have a pretty good opinion on what I want before I get there...

Abbie
          aBbiE
          Kyphoscoliosis...

Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

OK now, you have a great life mapped out with your education etc. You have had a second opinion, Physical therapy, my advice now would be to have it done, get it over and done with, and then get onto having that wonderful life that is ahead of you.

God bless,
            Macky xx
            Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
            Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
            X