teachers treating me different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teachers treating me different?

ok so i got my brace jan, 10th, 2006. i didnt wear it to school at first until i had softball and needed it off after. so it was worn to school from about april until june. ANYWAYS, last year i was late for class because i had 2 take my brace off, and put it on. although this only applied to gym and language arts, i was asked a lot of questions. in fact, my LAL from last year made me go in the hallway and tell her why i was late and ever since then.. she treated me..... different. like she would ALWAYS call on me, and when she used to always say how bad my cursive was she never said it anymore, and she was just so nice. and about a week later, ALL of my teachers knew. and now this new year, 2 out of 4 know. but i think the rest do too... teachers talk. im not sure what to do about this but i just wanted to say it.

* sigh *

im the only one in my school. it used 2 be me and this other girl until she only had 2 wear it 8hrs instead of 20

=[
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

It sounds as if this teacher was trying to be a little more understanding and realized that it was hard enough to be singled out by wearing the brace and didn't want to make that worse by doing more of it in class. Yes it's possible that he/she was feeling sorry for you and giving you special treatment, but that's human nature. You're apparently in a different school now and i wouldn't worry about the teachers. Take things on a case by case basis. So what if they talk. If you think a teacher is treating you differently, take them aside and talk to them. Be sensitive, and respectful (especially in case you're wrong), and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not trying to be mean or rude, or embarrass you. Remember that they are people too and are not perfect.

Comment

Hey there,
      Maybe your teacher is trying to be more understanding about your scoliosis. I don't know why she would call on you more, because you were late. That sounds odd to me. In high school, I had a Spanish teacher who was not only my teacher, but who was a good friend of mine. She never treated me differently. She was very understanding of my having scoliosis, because she said she had a friend back home in Spain who had it, too. She was very kind to me. My teachers knew I had scoliosis, but that did not give them a cause to treat me differently.

Comment

My daughter is a senior in high school and had surgery at the end of her freshman year. We have something called a 504 plan for students that have a medical condition that effects learning. My daughter has one because she isn't supposed to carry books, seating can also be a problem. With each new semester, her teachers are notified as to her limitations and are invited to email me their questions and/or concerns. It has worked out well except for one teacher who said, "show me your scar" in the middle of class. That teacher is no longer with our school district. I know its hard being the only one in school in a brace. I was the first one in my district to have surgery and had to wear a body cast 9 months. The best advice I can give you is have your parents talk to the teacher. She probaly has questions but is afraid to ask you!
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Last year, a couple of my teachers knew because they asked me about it. I didn't notice much of a difference, but if it is really bugging you tell yr teacher you dont want him/her to feel sorry for you.
          At least you dont have to worry about being late for class, yr teacher seems very understanding. Teachers like knowledge, so they like to learn new things, and there just curious. I wouldnt worry about it unless you are really feeling uncomfortable.
          <3Molly

my name is molly
          i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
          i got my back brace at age 13
          i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
          my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
          i've had scoliosis since i was 7
          my legs used to be uneven
          but now they look much more balanced!
          and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
          Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

well ur lucky im goin 2 haf 2 wear mine 22 hours a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. thanks for the help everyone. =]
              im just going to let things go for now and see what happens.

and who would EVER say "show me your scar?" thats just MEAN.

Comment

i didnt get my brace yet but my lit teacher found out and he talked to me about it. it was nice. hes my faveorite teacher!
                im hoping they dont treat me diffrent! good luck to you!
                They Call me Laura
                Im 13 years old
                I have a mild 23 degree cruve

Comment

well now the teachers are being supportive like if i drop something they get it for me. its pretty nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X