Covering a brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering a brace

Now, i am almost done wearing my brace( yay!), but, even after 2 years i still have trouble covering up my brace with clothes that i like. It's really easy in the winter, i just wear a lot of jackets, but it it so hard to do in the summer. Plus it gets really hot, no matter what i wear. If i have to go another summer with this i might die of heat stroke! If anyone has any info on good things to do to cover up your brace, i think this would be a great place to share
    If i come up with anything good i will put it here, too.

my name is molly
    i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
    i got my back brace at age 13
    i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
    my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
    i've had scoliosis since i was 7
    my legs used to be uneven
    but now they look much more balanced!
    and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
    Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Hey kiddo, you were just talking about decorating your brace! If you're going to do that, why try to hide it? There's a couple of things you need to learn here. For the most part, kids who talk about it, or ask questions, are curious. I've grown up with many problems due to a number of medical problems that I had as a child which affected me in many ways. I was talking with someone at work about it who then started patronizing me and trying to lighten my load by taking on the lion's share of the labor. I got really firm with him and let him know how much I appreciated it but NOT to do it. Now one of the things I am dealing with now is what is called obstructive sleep apnea, where my airway gets blocked off while I'm sleeping and usually results in a number of problems including a rude awakening for a dream, or gastric reflux (stomach acid coming up into the back of the throat). Well anyway, I have to wear a mask at nightthat helps keep this from happening , and it's no biggy at all. A few years ago I was working with a youth group and went away for a week with them. I was expecting alot of comments from both the kids and the adults about it, and the only thing I got was a question from one of the adults. and that was all that was ever said about it. If you take a "matter of fact" attitude about it, and go on about your life, any comments that come from others will soon die out, when they see how you are handling it. If people do patronize you or baby you because of the brace, be patient, but firm in assuring them that they need not do that. Give them the benefit of the doubt that the really mean well (unless they are being rude or mean).

Comment

I found that wearing baggy and big shirts really helped to cover up the brace that I was wearing.

Comment

Scoligirl,
        I agree w/ slice totally.If your gonna decorate dont hide.My daughter really conquered a big fear of the brace by showing it off.......Believe it or not the way you react to the brace is how others do...
        As far as clothing my daughter hasnt changed style just size.Shes very into the Abercrombie/Hollister thing.Tight shirts cropped sweaters.We found some athletic tanks at Target they are lycra cotten and she wears them over her brace and it smooths it then puts her tight shirts on,you can barely tell except on the bottom,and now she doesnt care about it.As far as the summer goes we havent gotten there yet!!!But continue to keep your head up,the more confidence you show and feel will reflect!!
        Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

I agree why hide something you've decorated?

I was very pleased to see a young lady this past summer (I'm guessing 15/16) and she was wearing a tank top and shorts. She wore her brace right over her clothes and she looked great.

Also a young man who plays football with my son was hurt this past football season and he to is now wearing a brace, I realize his brace is not scoliosis related but he did the same thing wore his brace right over his shirt, his brace looked just like the TLSO.

I never thought of having my daughter wear her brace over her clothes it may have been a bit tricker since she was in a Milwaukee Brace but it may have worked out perfectly.

With no clothes over your brace you may also be cooler during the summer.
          Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
          Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
          Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
          Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
          Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
          26 Degree Post Op Curve
          Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
          Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
          YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

I really don't care about hiding my brace anymore, I just know how much it bugged me when i first got it and i had trouble wearing what i liked. I just thought it would be nice to have some info on here for those who want to hide it, because thats how i felt at first, but now its just a part of me and everyone who knows me knows about it, so i have nothing to hide anymore.
            As for decorating my brace, i dont know if i can. My mom said that i have a milwaukee brace, but i have no clue because i saw that boston brace and mine looks a lot like that, but i don't know. I might get some stickers to put on it for now, but my doctor told me in the beginning of November that i would only have it for about 3 months, which is coming faster and faster. Then I have to deal with surgery (oh goody). If I find out that i do have to wear it longer, than i will DEFINATELY look into getting it decorated, because that is what i have been wanting to do with it. I asked the guy who made my brace if i could paint it, becuase my mom is an awesome painter, and he told me it wouldn't work because the plastic is an oil base.
            The Slice,
            I totally know what you are talking about with that sleeping machine. Both mom and my grandpa (my mom's dad) have it. My dad always makes fun of her though, in a joking way of course

my name is molly
            i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
            i got my back brace at age 13
            i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
            my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
            i've had scoliosis since i was 7
            my legs used to be uneven
            but now they look much more balanced!
            and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
            Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

Working...
            X