Cabin fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin fever

I am at 3 weeks now and was wondering when most of you begin to go for a drive and maybe a short in and out visit to a store just to walk around. I am doing well but have had night sweats a few times. Doc says its the meds. I know I can't get out for an extended time but just something different might help my attitude. I will be glad to start rehab next week just to have some where to go. I am still having a miserable time trying to find a comfortable place to sit. I feel best when walking actually. Any suggestions on how to overcome this cabin fever would be treasured.
    Linda G.

I'm at two weeks post op and left the house to go to a small family Christmas lunch at 11 days post op (I was able to lay down on the sofa there when I wanted to but was able to sit up at the table and eat...well, eat what I could, my medicine kills my appetite). The other night my boyfriend also took me to visit with his family for about an hour because I was so tired of sitting around in my house. I've gone on a couple of very short trips to the store, no big shopping trips or anything, but it did "help my attitude" to know that I was able to leave the house if I really wanted to and be comfortable for a little while. I was never told I couldn't get out of bed or go anywhere for a month, so I'm sure it's fine to do whatever I feel up to as long as I'm following my "restrictions" as far as not carrying anything over 5 lbs, not bending and reaching or using my back muscles to do anything but sit up really! I always feel a little better when I come home if I'm able to leave the house for just a little while...it just feels so "lazy" to lay around watching TV in pajamas all day, and I know I have a reason to do that, but it's not typical of me and if I do it for days on end, I just feel worse. Just the process of putting on a little make-up and drying my hair and putting on something decent (even if the brace covers it up) makes me feel better. Unless your doctor said otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with doing what you feel up to as long as you're not really pushing it. Maybe someone could take you to do some of your walking we're supposed to be doing at a store like Target or at the mall when it's not crowded (my mom gave me this idea...it's so cold outside that I want to stop walking and go inside before I've gone that far). I'm glad to know that you're doing so well!
    -Ashley

Comment

Hi Linda - for my most recent surgery, I started to go out at around three - four weeks. It was before Christmas, so it was a busy, but on a trip to Walmart, we used one of their courtesy wheelchairs. I would walk when I could, then if I got tired (or it was really busy) I would have someone push me in the wheelchair.
      We have snow here, and it's cold, so I can't walk outside (I'm paranoid about falling! I'm sure I'm not the only one )
      As for driving - I am not driving yet - they said at about 2+ months, mostly because of the weather here, and other drivers. I've gone for short car rides, but honestly, I find the car one of the most uncomfortable places to sit! For sitting around the house, I have found that good office chairs are way more comfortable than sitting on a couch or softer chair. We actually put one of the office chairs in the living room right now. After my first surgery, I went to a grocery store after about three weeks - all I can say is watch out for the shopping carts!! It does make you feel better to get out and about for awhile though. It's just me, but another thing I did after a couple of weeks was to always get out of my pjs, get dressed, do my makeup, and struggle with my hair. Take care!
      Cena
      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

After a couple of weeks of being in the house in the middle of Feb with snow piling up everywhere, I started getting out for short trips to a local pizza resturant & the grocery store. It was just enough to get me out of the house for a little while, breathe some fresh air and feel like I was getting back to normal again.

Comment

Thanks for the input

I got dressed and put make-up on and my hubby took me for a short little ride to one of the shopping centers near by. Went into Staples to pick up some office things he needed and it felt wonderful to get out. Only thing was I found myself getting paranoid about the other drivers. It was good tho to just get out. Our weather is still fairly warm (Texas in Dec) so rain is our only threat for bad weather right now. It did tire me out but I loved being somewhat normal for a little while. Will try for another outing tomorrow.
          Linda G.

Comment

I went out for short walks 3-4 times a day with whoever stopped by to visit! Even if it was raining out
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

Linda, do you like to read? If you can read while laying down that is great for helping your body to heal. If you can sit for short periods, word search puzzles and crossword puzzles help, just watch your posture--my neck and upper shoulders would ache a lot. I followed my husband around a lot to get out of the house--just going to the cleaners, grocery store, running errands, etc. with him was great. Walking in my neighborhood and talking with the neighbors helped too. As they say, "this too shall pass". When you start PT or rehab that will get you out of the house. You may be tired afterwards and relish staying home at that point.
              Judy

Comment

Hi Linda,

I just want to say Wow!!! Sounds like you're doing great!!!

When I did finally manage to leave my house, other than the doctor visits, I needed a wheelchair to go shopping.

You're only 3 weeks, that's great, and that makes me smile!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X