The first 3 weeks after Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first 3 weeks after Surgery

The first three weeks after surgery is the worst. The first three months are bad. After that, you are your way to a good recovery. When I woke up up after surgery, I did not remember anything. The last thing I remember was three days later after surgery, being in a black room with two people (nurses.) I was hullicinating so much due to the morphine, it was like a trip off of Acid. The narcotics they pump through your veins are so damn powerful. However, you still feel pain in your spine. My spine felt like it was being compressed. It gets better though. I sorta remember taking so many pills each day. I was taking so much oxycodone and viks and valums for spasms. You are also turned about one time every hour in the hospital. I dont remember all the details because I was so out of it. I remember some of my vivid dreams that felt like trips off of acid. When i came home, i stayed in bed a lot. I had to get up, my parents and grandparents pushed me so much. I would walk about half mile a day to a mile. It hurt like a bitch even with percoset. I would also be flushed and dizzy after. The pain was a lot less mild then in the hospital. After three months, the pain was pretty bad when i layed down for a long time or stood too long. Six months after, i have been experiencing spasm in my muscles in the back after I lift or run. Also if i play a sport, I can feel it afterwards. I am almost Seven months past my surgery. The pain decreases every month. I can't wait til the year is up, the fusion solid. I did not give my story to scare you people. This is merely the truth about this operation. It comes with a high price of pain, but in the end is it worth it? It sure is because it will prevent further pain in your older years and your back will be straight. It will be less noticable with a faded scar and rods and screw exceeding your back then a curved back with your shirt off. Hang in there, and give it your best. I suggest getting into shape before surgery. I spent 1 to 1/2 hours a day in the gym seven months prior to my sugery. Good luck, hope this will help you and open you eyes to the truth of this procedure.

peace

420 SMokE TheM BudS 420

This does resemble my recovery a lot, except that I didn't take pain meds past week three or four. It is different for everybody though, from what I read one can be in a lot of pain for a long time and ohers heal in a few months.

After having revision a year ago, I realize just how long it takes to heal, as I felt nerves healing all year long once again, just not nearly as bad, thank God.

Fortunately, this surgery does take care of a lot of pain for most patients, but not all. Keeping my hopes up that in the future it gets better for every patient and revision surgeries happen less.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

This post is pretty accurate for me also. I am at 3 and a half months and starting to feel like my old self with less pain My pain is better than before the surgery and I am glad that I had it done. The only thing now is I still get tired very easily. Yesterday I went into work for about 4 hours. I baked cokkies with my son did a few things around the house and today I feel like I ran the boston marathon. I guess I have to start building up my stamina.
      surgery 9/06
      Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
      X