Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are so few people posting and many veiwing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are so few people posting and many veiwing?

Just wondering why hundreds of people view some threads but only four or five regulars post? It would be so helpful to hear more perspectives to these important issues. Every reply may help more people.

I'd like to hear from more viewers! Don't be shy!

Joan

I don't know the answer to that. With these forums there is always a selection bias though. The people who post may not be typical of those with scoliosis. Some people may have been very unfortunate and have had complications or have a very severe curvature that has had a big impact on their life so they want to talk about it. Others maybe just cranks, people who have a 12 degree curve and claim to be in agony as a result.

Comment

I'm a little hesitant to write on here because it seems when i do the thread dies...lol... maybe i'm just too 'off the wall' or something, lol.

Also, I never know whether it's better to tell the gruesome details and hard truths and run the risk of scaring someone, or to gloss things over and then let the person having surgery feel that there's something wrong because they encounter some really rough times that weren't mentioned here....

Probably some other post-op people feel the same way... It's just a hard row to hoe, and something you have to experience for yourself. Some people don't want to know ahead of time and some do.... soooo ?????

Comment

JoAnn5, well for me you've killed the thread with your negative comments. lol

Comment

I think what happens is that even when guests (non registered users) view a page, it adds to the count of views. The number of "real people" reading might be much smaller than what is actually being portrayed, and a better representation might be the number of people posting. Also, sometimes what is posted in the title might sound like something that would relate to one person but they might find that they have nothing to add, or cant relate and rather than clog up the thread they decide not to post.
          Just my opinion.

Comment

Sorry Frosty

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty
              Some people may have been very unfortunate and have had complications or have a very severe curvature that has had a big impact on their life so they want to talk about it. Others maybe just cranks, people who have a 12 degree curve and claim to be in agony as a result.
              I don't think that saying that "cranks" with a "12 degree curve" is going to help the matter. The degree of curvature (to an extent, of course) doesn't really have much of an impact on what symptoms they have. It's understandable that those with curves in the 60+ range wouldn't want to hear from these people because a 12 degree curve sounds like a godsend. Really, we should be listening and helping everyone... Yes, most people that regularly post on this have larger curves and most have had surgery, but shooting down those with smaller curves who are actively interested in their health makes them not want to post. Personally, on this website I feel petty posting with my non surgically corrected 42 degree curve (I obviously do it anyways)... and I wish more people with lower, more common, curves would post because we represent the majority of the scoliosis population anyways.

abbie
              aBbiE
              22 yr old F,KU college student
              Kyphoscoliosis...
              Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
              Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
              I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
              Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
              all smiles!

Comment

posting vs. viewing

I'm pretty new here and am mainly viewing because I can't figure out how to start a new thread! I'm having my surgery next week and would like to ask everyone a few questions.

Comment

Hi Joan,

When I first found this forum, which was by accident, I read it for months and months just to see what was going on. It got to the point that my husband would walk in on me and say "haven't you had enough of that yet"!!! And my silent answer was always NO!!! As I shut the computer
                  off.

It wasn't until 9 days before my surgery that I had the guts to start a thread for fear that no one would respond. Hind sight showed me how foolish I was!!!

And as far as responding, I read all the posts, but if I feel that I have nothing beneficial to add, then I don't want to waste the space. And I'm sure I'm not alone, and that might account for some of the numbers.

Shari

Comment

SNOWDAL -
                    When you go into the forum originally, there is a button at the top that says "post new thread". Click that and ask away
                    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks Shari!

I am glad you started writing. You have been so helpful to me. I just thought with the hundreds of people viewing, they might also have some good suggestions. The posts are so interesting and when only one or two people respond, the thread does die fast.

Keep reading and posting!

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,

I thought I would answer your question as it was one I had when I first joined the forum. I read every new thread to see if I can help by adding to the answers others have given. Quite a few times what I would have posted has already been said by others. It was tough to post at first, I now have no problem. I hope to help others with my experiences as I sure got a lot of support and advice before I had my surgery. Plus, I want to say that surgery is not as bad as your crazy imagination will make you think. It can change your life in such a positive way. That is why I continue to post. I think we all need to tell the truth and not sugarcoat what we post-op people have gone through so those following in our footsteps are aware of everything. They will have peace of mind knowing they are not alone in their experiences and others have had similar recoveries. Be it good, bad or just plain 'ol bad luck with complications I feel everyone here needs to know it all. Where else can you joke about constipation??!! I think knowledge is power and you need all of both heading down the surgery road. What good could possibly come from not knowing what to expect? I think a lot of the readers are gathering information and don't have questions that aren't being answered in the threads.

Comment

Thanks Suzi!

Sounds logical. I hope everyone that has a question or idea will feel free to post.

Joan

Comment

I think posts don't get answered because most people only look for posts on the front page. Once it gets kicked off the front page it gets missed. I sometimes have time to search new posts in each thread, but not often. I have had the same thing happen to my new threads. If I am desperate enough for an answer, I post again to hit the front page.
                            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
                            X