How much can you lift...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can you lift...??

I'm 3-1/2 mths post-op now...anybody remember how much they could carry/lift by then?? I'm pretty careful anyway...Ly

At 3 and a half months, I was only at 5 pounds. I went to 10 pounds when I returned to work at 5 months post op. I am still only at 10 to 15 pounds. Actually, any amount of weight that I carry in my arms causes me to fall forward.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Ya Lynne! At 3 months I was allowed 10 lbs. At 6 months 20. I go in Monday for my 9 month check up (I can't believe it!) and I will let you know if my restrictions are lifted or not. P.T. has me pushing/pulling up to 45lbs on pulleys and weights! Don't get frustrated, time will pass sooner then you think and you will be cleared to lift more before you know it. Lucky for me my vacuum is REALLY heavy!! LOL! Non of that for awhile...........

Comment

Can of soup...

Maybe this was a bit overcautious but my Doc told me not to lift anything heavier than a soup can for a whole year after my surgery. I tried my best, but sometimes I'm stubborn and want to do things on my own and would lift heavier objects and pay for it later. Just be REAL careful alright luv?

lisanicolegrace
        29/F/Canada
        Surgery - 11/10/2000
        80° curve to 19° post op.
        www.lisanicolegrace.com
        @lisanicolegrace
        facebook
        x-rays
        picture of my back

Comment

Hi Ly...

At this year's Scoliosis Research Society, John Sarwark presented a paper on resuming activities after scoliosis surgery, and he's allowed me to put some charts up on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/JohnSarwarkChart.doc

My take from the comments made afterward is that most of the surgeons felt that his guidelines were pretty conservative.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thks Linda---that's interesting. I am really careful with lifting stuff but find as I feel better I obvoiusly do more around the house. I still use my grabber for stuff I drop.. Interesting about the bicycling at 6 mos...Ly

Comment

Hi Linda,

This return-to-activity chart is designated for children. Was something presented with adults in mind?

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                Was something presented with adults in mind?
                Nope, sorry.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X