possible surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible surgery??

Hoping someone can answer my questions, my daughter was at the doctor yesterday and in 5 months has gone from 36 upper to 47 and 34 lower to to degrees, now going to see a surgeon. My question is has anybody had surgery where they did not fuse the spine? also my daughter is a cheerleader and tumbler, has anybody else who has a daugter that is a cheerleader been able to go back to it after surgery? Hope someone can help with these question, live in the chicago, Il area any doctor recommendations.

possible surgery - keep looking!

I'd suggest you look into alternative therapy before surgery. Specifically deep tissue massage therapy and Muscle Activation Technique....several pracitioners in Chicago area. Is she particiapting in a sport that results in much impact to her body? I was always advised to stay away from severe impact sports to avoid complications.

Comment

My daughter had the surgery and she is a dancer. She has no problem with ballet, just is limited in modern and jazz as she cannot bend or arch her back. Tumbling for cheerleading may be hard after surgery. Best to ask her coach how not being able to bend her back will affect cheerleading. If she has a good coach, they will work around her limitations
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

alternative therapy

Originally posted by harmoniesdj
        I'd suggest you look into alternative therapy before surgery. Specifically deep tissue massage therapy and Muscle Activation Technique....several pracitioners in Chicago area. .
        Could you please show us studies where the techniques you recommend actually have an impact on correcting/arresting significant scoliosis curves? Or has anyone using this therapy shown long term improvement/correction in their scoliosis?

So many unproven alternatives to surgery are touted. More than one parent has tried these, spent lots of money, while the child's curve worsened only to need surgery for an even larger, progressing curve or have passed the time when proper bracing would have helped.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
        X