need to talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to talk

im so scared about my surgery and its still 3 months away.i cant stop thinking about it.im so nervous about something happening during surgery.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Trudy...

I understand. Before my surgery, I had periods of intense concern. Just know that while there are a lot of potential complications, the big ones are rare.

Perhaps you should consider purchasing a surgery preparation CD. Here are a few examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Preparing-Surg...e=UTF8&s=books
    http://www.amazon.com/Peggy-Huddlest...e=UTF8&s=books

Hang in there.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

worried about complications while waiting for surgery???

Trudy,

The waiting is the worst. I was really helped by thinking there was help for me--even at age 60. I am a medical professional and I knew every remote complication possible.
      Guess what? I totally refused to think about it. I concentrated on getting myself in good condition, taking the supplements my surgeon ordered: iron,folic acid and vit C. These things will help reduce complications.
      Keeping a healthy weight, aerobic exercise( I walked 3 miles 3x a week) and no smoking can do a lot to reduce complications.

Think about how much straighter you will be.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hey Trudy,

My surgery is less than 3 weeks away now. So far I have not had a lot of fear--sure I wish I didn't have to do this-- but I trust my doctor, I have lots of prayer coming my way and most of all I have put my life in God's hands. I will probably be a bit jittery on the morning of the surgery. I have been staying very busy esp with the holidays coming and that has helped. I will have all my children and most of my 13 grandchildren here to celebrate Thanksgiving and that is always a blessing. I have made it a point not to think about the bad things and reflect on how great it will be to be straight and not in pain. Like Linda Racine said--I am sure there are lots of things that could go wrong BUT the major ones are rare. You will get thru this and then look back on it as not being near as bad as your mind wants to tell you it is. My prayers are with you. Linda G.

Comment

Hi Trudy,

I completely understand where you're coming from!!! I had quite a bit of time to think about my surgery. I think it was over 6 months, from the time I actually decided to have it and the actual date, and the thousands of thoughts that go through your head can be overwhelming.

I kept as busy as I could, tried not to think about it as much as possible (which is hard), and I had a hard time talking about it when someone would ask questions. I also felt very alone, like no one knew what I was going through. You are not alone!!! And your fear is very normal.

You have a group of people here to support you through the anticipation and recovery stages of this, so take advantage of this wonderful forum.

We are all here for you,
          Shari

Comment

I was lucky that my wait time was over the summer so it was very busy. I was very freaked out about a month out. But I am glad I had it done.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

I think it's understandable to be nervous, but just think about your options. So if you feel that surgery is the only way for you, you just set your mind to it and think of all the positive results. At least that's what I'm trying to do! I have my 2nd opinion in a couple of weeks and hopefully will get to schedule my surgery, finally! Right now I can't wait, but I'm sure once their's a date, I'll be pretty nervous too! I'll be moving right before it, so there's a distraction!
              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

thanks everyone

theres days where im ready and confident but then otheres where its like i feel im being pushed in the deep end and hope to come out ok at the end.i feel alot better though,i trust my surgeon and trust god and know that everything will be fine.i know it really does no good to worry.
                Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

hang in there...

I waited about 7 mths for my surgery & it was extremely rough....my weekly blog proves that!! I did have great confidence in my surgeon & knew my scoliosis was so bad, it was the only way to go. I tried the best I could to not think about the whole hospital stuff & just visualized myself after the operation.. & I meditated a lot & played music to help me..hang in there, you'll get thru this...I had a really good surgery cd which helped me greatly & will post it again....Ly

Comment

Hi Trudy,

Yes, I find waiting for surgery very difficult also. Like you, some days I'm fine, other days I'm petrified. Exercise and keeping busy helps a lot. I often worry that I don't have the physical or mental stamina for this operation, but my back is such a mess at this point, it seems to be the best option.

Others have done it -- we can too!!!
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I completely understand! I'm waiting over a year for my surgery and it has been quite the journey so far. I feel like I have grown in many ways though, but I'm nervous when the time gets closer. Right now I keep myself very busy with teaching and grad school. I find that I sometimes start shaking though if I'm talking about the surgery to someone.
                      Best,
                      Anya
                      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

You're not alone
                        I swear the anxiety over the upcoming surgery was 10 times worse than my recovery! To ease my stress I exercised, took yoga, pilates, listened to soothing sounds Cd's etc.....
                        Hang in there and keep busy!
                        Jenn
                        37 y/o female
                        60 degree lumbar
                        45 degree thoracic
                        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                        T 5 to S 1
                        NYC

Comment

Take charge and own your surgery!

I did not have that much time before my surgery - about 6 weeks. But once I decided to do it, I got into full gear preparing for the needs I would have after surgery and in the hospital. I read the book The Definitive Patient's Reference: Second Edition by Dave Wolpert - which was written by a patient of my doctor (Kurt Von Rueden, Austin, Texas). He gives lots of tips on preparing for surgery and understanding the options prior to making decisions.

So, I started packing a hospital "kit" with comforts of home that I would want in the hospital. I started cooking simple meals like chicken soup and homemade spaghetti sauce that would be easy to freeze in small servings and warm up in the microwave during recovery. I organized my bedroom with a shelf/cubbie system by my chair that contained all of the things I would need within arms reach while sitting in my chair during recovery (puzzles, thermometer, medication, relaxation CDs plastic spoons and forks, paper towels, chapstick, TV romotes, movies). I set up a lamp on a remote control plug so I could turn the light off and on without getting out of bed or reaching around. I put phone chargers within reach. I got a little fan and a little heater so I could adjust my environment. I purchased small baskets to sort mail and keep checkbook and credit cards for people who did shopping form me. I bought a bunch of thank you notes and put them in a basket with stamps and my address book. I bought cups with lids and bendy straws at Sams. I stocked up on home essentials so I would not have to ask people to shop for me. I bought gowns and pajamas that button down the front so I would not have to reach over my head to pull on and off. I got larger than normal camis to wear under my pajamas until I can wear bras again. I borrowed a walker and shower chair from a friend. I asked my doctor to order a raised potty seat with handles. I moved the toilet paper from the wall on the side to a stand in front of the toilet. I set up support from my sisters and friends to come stay with me (I live alone with my 13 year old daughter) until I am on reduced medication and feel safe staying alone. I got a TV table that slides under my chair (The Perfect Chair - Zero Gravity) so that I can eat meals, write and set up my antibiotic IV treatments. I use my laptop on the table so I can check email and the forum whenever I want!

Yikes, I really went crazy but it helped me own the surgery and feel more in control during the weeks prior to walking in to the hospital.

I have used and enjoyed every one of the items I set up and they all have added to my independence and confidence during my recovery. I am now 5 weeks post op on my scoli surgery and two weeks post op on the infection surgery. So, I still have a long way to go and I use all of my items daily.

I wish you the best with your preparation time. I'll look forward to hearing about your own preparations. I know others have unique ideas on how to get ready during this important pre-op time. Use every minute!

Joan

Comment

Joan, that was really a wonderful post. I did so enjoy reading it. So good for others who are going into hospital to know how to prepare for when they get home.

Also I know how scarey it can be guys I really do, I can still remember. But now a days things have just got so advanced to what it was like when I had it, so please dont get yourselves all upset.

We are strong, we can beat anything.!!!! Even scoliosis. xxx

God bless,
                            Lorraine.
                            Last edited by macky; 11-21-2006, 01:01 AM.
                            Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                            Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Wow Joan! If I ever get stranded on a desert island I would want to bring you. lol! I hope you are doing well. I have found the best position to be on my side on the couch. My station consisted of an upside down laundry basket, it was the perfect height with all my stuff on it or between that and the couch.
                              surgery 9/06
                              Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                              X