Rib Cage Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib Cage Pain

I've been having a lot of pain in my rib cage on the side of my rib hump. My actual curve has been hurting a lot too. Does this mean my spine is shifting more? Does anyone else have this problem?
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

my rib cage also bothers me a lot on the side of my hump/curve. My doctor told me that it was probably costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilage that connects your ribs to your spine.... which makes sense for me because that's right where it hurts. (When I sit, breathe, twist, etc etc etc...). I have tried cortisone shots with no help so i really don't know what to think of it.

we have close to the same curves and we're kinda close in age too! woopie!

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

I have the same pain. Especially when I sit or lean on something, though it also hurts when I am doing nothing. At times I get different pain throughout my back, but I must say this is the most painful Rib hump/shoulder area.

Comment

Hi--I had a huge rib hump & that kind of chest pain..also hurt around the hump area....thanks to my great surgeons, all has been greatly improved...Ly

kyphosis was 85 prior to surgery...
        95 thorocolumbar curve reduced into the 50's

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. It's good to know I'm not alone. I just wish there was some way to relieve this pain. Sometimes it's unbearable!
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Maybe you should talk to your Dr. about getting a thoracoplasty. I talked to a Dr. about this and he said it would help my pain, I was ready to have the surgery and then he had his office call me and tell me he didn't want to do it because he felt it was for cosmetic reasons. I was very frustrated because this Dr. is not the one who has to live with this pain on a daily basis. I am not giving up and I am looking for a Dr. to help with this. I have read about people who have had this done and their rib pain was greatly reduced. You should look into it, it might be something that can help you too.

Comment

I've had rib hump pain for the past 10 years... It kinda helps if I 'strighten' my spine and derotate my curve but it's hard to hold myself in that position for long...
              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
              2005 - T50, L31
              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Leslie

I would love to get a thoracoplasty. I'll see my doctor again in June so I'll ask him about it then. He said I'm probably going to need surgery in the future so I'll get it done at the same time. I'm sorry you weren't able to have it done. I would be extremely frustrated too.

Greenm&m
                It looks like we have similar progression rates according to our signatures. Are you having surgery anytime soon?
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2

Comment

rib-hump--

My rib hump was amazingly reduced after my surgery...Of course I still ache from it all! I had quite a deformity. Now my back looks flat although I can still feel my spine bumped up a little on the left side since I still have an upper(thoracic) curve that was left alone...I never discussed a thoroplasty w/ my Doctor. Guess I intuitively & confidently felt he would do what was needed...it was somewhat painful but well worth it...Ly

3-1/2mths post-op/ 95 thorocolumbar curve/Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim@HSS in NYC

Comment

i hace my tried hydrocortisone but is works only partially up to the tolerance level but indeed, there has been quite some more stuffs like naprosyn when i feel i can't endure the pain and I feel exaushted about it.

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                      My rib hump was amazingly reduced after my surgery...Of course I still ache from it all! I had quite a deformity. Now my back looks flat although I can still feel my spine bumped up a little on the left side since I still have an upper(thoracic) curve that was left alone...I never discussed a thoroplasty w/ my Doctor. Guess I intuitively & confidently felt he would do what was needed...it was somewhat painful but well worth it...Ly

3-1/2mths post-op/ 95 thorocolumbar curve/Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim@HSS in NYC
                      Hi Ly....

Just wanted to be sure you knew that a rib hump can be reduced considerably by proper use of modern implants. It appears to me that a lot fewer thoracoplasties are being done these days.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                      X