cough before surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cough before surgery?

Has anyone had a persistent cough before surgery? Did it affect your recovery? I'm being treated for reflux, asthma, and rhinitis simultaneously (on the theory that it's one of those causes) to try to get rid of it before surgery (scheduled in 10 days) after antibiotics didn't clear it up. I had a chest x-ray. I've had it since September and, if it weren't for the surgery, would just put up with it until it goes away as I seem to get a lingering cough every fall after a cold.

Any advice is appreciated.

Steff

Hi--I had horrible coughing before my surgery which even caused me to skip a lot of social engagements. Mine was mainly reflux & it was'nt pleasant. I took one bit of food & would start coughing with bad acid problems...thanks to my surgery, I've had hardly any coughs at all! I have no more acid problems..
    I would'nt think it would hold up a surgery...good luck....Ly

Comment

I've had it pre op and still sometimes post op so in my case it's due to allergies that is something all my family has(none have scoliosis). Same with acid reflux.

I don't think it's a problem before you get surgery.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks to both of you...

...I was worried about an infection before but that seems to have been resolved, and now about recovering with a cough if it continues, as sometimes it makes my bones rattle now! But at this point I just want to get the surgery over with. Thanks for your replies, I'll just stop worrying. About the cough, anyway.

Steff

Comment

Working...
        X