My stepmom has Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stepmom has Scoliosis

Now in her mid-seventies, my step mom is suddenly falling and unable to get up, after an MRI and CT Scan, nothing is clear to her doctor. I told her she should mention the Scoliosis because I've heard that it can cause lameness in the legs--is this correct?

Hi...

Yes, it can cause nerve problems, but if that's the case, it should have been visible on the MRI and/or CT.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Baderman,

Aside from getting a second opinion from another Doctor.....

MRI and CT scans do not reveal all of the potential causes of neurological dysfunctions. Yes, they can usually detect soft tissue damage, nerve impingment/damage as they exit the spine, or other regions of the body etc.. But nerves may become impinged/compressed or irritated anywhere within the body, either by skeletal interference or soft tissue disturbence without any obvious sign of damage. Nerves do not have to show any sign of defect to cause pain or dysfunction, as you described. In fact, many causes of chronic pain or dysfunction are unable to be located on such images.

Given how long she's been living with scoliosis its quite possible, if not probable, that there is some type of neurologic interruption taking place. Maybe via temporary skeletal or muscular induced nerve impingment during movement (which would not show up on a static MRI or CT scan), causing a brief interruption of neurological sensory/motor control. Sometimes I've seen this occur as a protective mechanism (albeit unfortunate). When a particular movement threatens the integrity of a joint, nerve, ligament, etc., the body will reflexively respond to prevent further movement (i.e. - cease muscular tonus in leg(s) for instance) and subsequent damage to said part(s). Given that nerve innervation to the legs travels through the back of the pelvis and its interior and that scoliosis has a significant affect on the pelvis, something to this effect is not unlikely.

If a second opinion doesn't turn over any new leaves...

My suggestion would be to see a good Osteopathic Physician who is capable of manual diagnosis and treatment. Or maybe a physiotherapist/physical therapist (not so much for the exercise aspect, but rather their manipulative abilities).

Best of luck to you both.

Structural75

Comment

Structural...

If you are a medical professional, would you mind posting what type of progressional that is?

Thanks!

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

I'm a licensed and certified professional in structural integration and visceral osteopathic manipulation. You can find more info regarding my qualifications by viewing my link to my website.

Please be aware that any advice, thoughts, opinions I present on this forum are always within the scope of my practice. These are not attempts to diagnose conditions, but I do believe that non-mechanistic and non-conventional viewpoints can offer valuable insights when others fail to provide any answers. I agree there is great value in receiving care from a quaified and experienced Doctor/Surgeon when dealing with scoliosis. However, their area of expertise is surgery, working with knives. It is equally important to consider proper pre/post-surgical care as well, which is not usually addressed sufficiently in our health care system.

Structural75

Comment

Working...
          X