Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery

Hello all. I am a 33yr old female. I am having surgery for scoliosis on Nov. 8th. Fusion w/ hardware from T4 to L4. I thought I would be getting very nervous the closer it gets but that doesn't seem to have happend however I have found that I am more emotionally on edge so I guess thats how its coming out. With my surgery a week away ...is there any advice or helpful hints that anyone can offer? I believe in being well educated about anything I am planning to endure. So I know the basic what to expect and such but I am really asking about the things you don't read in books....the things that you didn't expect. Thanks you all.

I had surgery 2 months ago t10-L3. I was very upset when I found out about surgery but gradually came to accept it and became less nervous. The day of surgery I was pretty calm as well, you can ask for a vicaden when you get to the hospital. Its hard to understand if you've never had surgery before but being in the hospital really isn't that bad. You are on so many drugs and hardly ever feel pain, maybe just when you have to get up. Now that it is over I can't believe I did it, it feels unrealistic. I didnt know I had so much strength and will power to go through with it. Just believe in yourself and your doctor and know that the staff at the hospital will do their best to keep you comfortable.

Comment

Hi Fiddle...

If you haven't already done so, I strongly urge you to ask your surgeon's office for the names and contact information for a few patients who had similar surgeries. Call those references, and ask them to tell you about their experiences. That's really the best way to understand what you might go through.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi there.

I'm six weeks post-op (tomorrow) with the exact same fusion! I had a 49 degree upper curve and a 51 degree lower curve. I'm now at 18 degrees!

I strongly suggest that you ask your Drs. office for names of people near you who had similar surgeries and are at different recovery stages. Speaking to someone will really help.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to send me a PM. I can't tell you much about the first few days after surgery as I don't remember much, only what my family has told me. I would be more than happy to tell you about my recovery so far. I'm still on Darvocet and Valium but I have finally reduced to taking them every 6 hours. Upon my return from the hospital every 4 hours wasn't enough!!

I do remember the weeks prior to surgery - I started getting really freaked out. I was distracted by the surgery entirely - couldn't sleep, couldn't function at work and was a emotional wreck. Thankfully, I had phone numbers of ladies who had gone through this with my surgeon. I spoke with several of them and they really helped calm me down. Although this forum is awesome, it does help to talk to someone in person. My friends and family couldn't really understand what I was going through. I was really scared of the pain I would go through, and even though it's rough in the beginning, it does get better. That I promise.

Good luck with your surgery!
        Nickie

Comment

having patience by mth 3.....post-op

Fiddlestix,
          I was like you & prepared mentally & physically for my surgery. I kept in good shape. What I was'nt prepared for..& I hesitate to say this but I will...is how long the recovery has been & the patience & good outlook you need to keep up daily. I have always had a good outlook on life & was very positive that surgery for me was the right thing. But I was an extremely active person who finds it a challenge every day to 'take it easy'. This has made me down (mild depression). Plus my appetite is poor. I have to make it a point to make myself eat! That was never me! I cooked gourmet meals. I was afraid this would happen & now I'm dying to gain weight & have a desire to eat good food. By the way, is anyone else feel they've lost their appetite??? I assume it's the pain pills but someone recently mentioned it could be from the affects of anesthesia?? sorry I rambled on...& of course that's just my recovery story....all in all I am thankful that I am coming out of this little by little, in good shape....Ly

fused T-11 to L-5(aug 1st 2006)

Comment

fiddlestix ~
            I was 30 at the time of my surgery and was fused T3-L4. I was very active prior to surgery and found the emotional toll of recovery to the be most difficult part. You will doubt your decision and will ask yourself why you did this to yourself many times. The restrictions were very difficult to deal with at times as was the physical drain. The best thing you can do is surround yourself with supporting, loving people. Without the love and support of my husband, parents and in-laws, I don't know that I would have recovered as quickly as I did. There were many moments of sadness and feeling down, but my loved ones were there to constantly remind me of how far I had already come and to tell me that I was strong and could get through anything if I wanted it badly enough.

I was back to work part time at 11 weeks and full time at 16 weeks and can honestly say that my the 9 month mark, I was feeling great! Good luck!

Comment

things u might need

fiddlestix
              my 15 yr. old daughter had surgery 2 wks ago. in the hospital she needed a small clip on fan, it was hot! @ home for recovery she needed a sturdy non slip stool to get in the bed, & a shower seat. hope all goes as well 4 u as it did 4 my daughter. longisland mom

Comment

Hi Fiddlestix,

We all handle the before and after part of surgery differenty. I was scared to death the week before and cried if someone looked at me in pity.

You have been given some excellent advice in regards to talking to previous patients and if you have the time to read through some of the other posts in this forum, that helps too.

But no matter who you talk to or what you read, I don't think you should compare yourself to anyone else. And however you heal and deal with it in your own way, is the right way. Just know that there will be alot of support right here on this forum if you need it.

We will all be thinking of you on Nov. 8th,
                Shari

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. I have talked to some patients. I agree that everyone is different which is the reason I was asking here about the little things that you didn't expect. So I could get an idea of common things from a group. You guys are great. The forum is full of information. I have enjoyed reading it.
                  My curves are 74 upper and 62 lower. I forgot to add that part.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Hi Lynne,

When I read your reply to this thread, I felt like it was coming from me!!! Everything that you said was spot on. Putting on the brakes, the depression and the weight loss.

I was depressed because I couldn't do things soon enough for me. And of course, no one does anything the same way I would. I remember getting so frustrated over something as simple as the dishes not being in the right place.

I lost 40 lbs and I didn't have that much extra to lose. I had no appetite, and then when I wanted to eat, I couldn't each much. I tried Ensure and Boost and it gave me instant diarrhea. I was literally skin and bones, but after about 6 months I slowly started to gain it back.

In your Blog, that you haven't updated for awhile , you mention this surgery being a rollercoaster ride, and that's exactly what it is. And it's not one of the old wooden ones that just go up and down, it's one of the new one that also twists and turns you upside down.

In the seat next to you,
                    Shari

Comment

Talking to other patients

Reading this thread reminds me of how I talked to two patients before having surgery, to get an idea of what to expect.

One had surgery when she was a teenager and said she had pain still mostly in the Winter months, but her recovery was pretty quick(a few months).

The other was a woman who had surgery when she was middle aged and she explained to me that she now felt wonderful but it took her two years to get there, and that her surgery was by far harder than her two childbirths combined. She didn't sugar coat anything, and I owe her for not hiding from me any of her pains and the ups and downs she lived through, b/c even if she did I wasn't prepared for what I went through still. I don't think it's just the pain that is to be expected but mostly the patience and determination that we all need to get through such an ordeal.

Talking to this lady post op when I had different pains is what helped me most, as it made me feel normal and she gave great advice on what to do.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was very lucky that I went on vacation the week before surgery so when I came back I only had 5 days to wait. I made sure household things were in order. I made sure I prepaid months bills. I had to wind up things at work so I was very busy.
                        surgery 9/06
                        Rothman institute

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the advice and great information....I think from talking to patients and all.........the one most common thing that wasn't very expected...was the emotional mood swings. I mean I think it has been expected but the range of it and how long it seems to go on is unexpected. Not that everyone goes through this on such a large scale but from what I have heard its there.

Again Thanks to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                          X