question about after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about after surgery

what is it like ,for those that have had surgery , when you wake up after the sutgery is over? can you move ? or do they have you lay still for a long time?are you able to lay on your side or do you have to lay on your back?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

I honestly don't remember a lot right after but when I can remember is most comfort on th the side. Laying flat on my back is still painful.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Trudy...

Do you really want to know? I thought I did prior to surgery, but when I got some honest answers, I started having nightmares.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I only remember mainly being on my back...except every morning my Dr. would come in & change the bandages and push me one my side...eek!! Other than that, I have been sleeping on my back since then. My husband loves it because he says I never move all night, I stay in one position...Ly

Comment

im asking because i get really uncomfortable laying on my back for a long time, i guess im so use to laying on my side .just wanted to know what to expect.i really do regret knowing exactly what goes on during surgery cause i think i wouldnt be as nervous if i had never known.

Comment

I don't know if others will agree, but I think knowledge is power. While it has freaked me out to find out about a lot of this stuff (procedures and all) for the first time, once I digest it and understand it, I find it not to be as frightening. I think you're right to find out as much as you can. While it may scare you now, it may also help calm you later because you will know what to expect.

Good luck! I'm right there with you.
            32 y/o male
            S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
            Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

My hubby says I was for the most part on my back for several days after surgery. He said I was able to move alot on my own after the surgery, like days 2 and on, more than he thought I would be able to. I think that was due to the good drugs they had me on... Alot of the hospital stay is a blurr now, again, due to the good drugs- and honestly, I think I prefer it that way
              Angela
              29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I was thinking if it is so bad that I will have nightmares just knowing about it then it must be pretty bad. Now that is scary to me. I am scheduled for my mylogram in the am and then surgery on Dec 5. I am somewhat anxious but know it is something I have to do. I am sure as it gets closer I will be more nervous. Dr Shelokov has assured me that they will control the pain from the onset. The only think I don't want to have done is to be put on a ventilator but at my age he says it is necessary for the 1st day. Anyone who has any input on the first couple of days please let me know. I don't like surprises!!!
                Linda G.

Comment

Hi Trudy...

I was in intensive care for five days. During that time, I was moved regularly from one side, to my back, to the other side. When I was moved to a regular room, I was taught how to safely change position on my own. You'll be on enough pain medication that I sort of doubt that you'll care all that much. But if it's uncomfortable in one position, you can be moved to another.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

yeah i figured i will be on enough pain medications that i wont really care how im laying..lol..but thats good they move you periodically.

Comment

When my daughter had her surgery, I thought I was prepared for everything but I still had a few surprises. The two most shocking things were: an NG (?) tube sticking out of her nose to drain stuff out of her stomach and an anterior or central line sticking out of her neck. Sorry, I never remember the proper terminology for everything. I wish I had known about them beforehand. If I had known, I would have prepared my family for seeing them. I'm usually not shocked by anything medical, but it was a surprise I could have done without after a long day of worrying and waiting.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

A week before my son's surgery we got a tour of the hospital. Saw parents waiting room, were shown where operating room post-anesthesia care unit, recovery rooms were. We were also shown a model of spine w/instrumentation in place and they also showed us everthing he would be hooked up to after surgery so it wasn't so shocking as much as heartbreaking. I did feel better knowing everything beforehand, I was much more prepared mentally/emotionally. If it would help you to know all this beforehand, ask your dr. if it could be arranged for you to see the hospital, equipment used, etc. It may also help prepare whoever will be with you during your recovery. Best wishes for a successful, uncomplicated surgery and recovery-

Renee

Comment

I do not remember much for the first 4 days. I was ICU for 5 days. Then moved to a room. When I got moved to a regular room I was up walking, going to the bathroom on my own, bathing myself, pretty much doing what i could for myself.
                          I did not have a rib removed so I don't know how a person would deal with that.
                          I had an arterial line in my neck, a catheter, a chest tube to drain the blood., drain tubes in my back to drain out the blood. and an IV.
                          I got amost all of that taken out in 4 days. I had my IV until I went home.
                          I remember when I went to a regular room I always was lying on my side. I was on my right side more that left because thats the side the chest tube had been in and it was tender.
                          When I was in ICU they did turn me from side to side and on my back regularly, my husband said the were in my room quite.
                          Good luck. We are all here for you.
                          Mattie

Comment

Hi Trudy,

I will be 6 weeks post-op tomorrow. I can honestly tell you that I don't remember too much of my hospital stay. I don't remember waking up after surgery - I'm sure I talked to my family as they were anxiously awaiting my return from the OR, but I don't remember it.

I remember various different things. I believe that I was on my back until I got my brace. I was fitted for my brace the day after surgery, on Saturday. My brace was delivered the day after the fitting. At that point the nurses would come in and move me around from side to side and on my back. I was never left in one position too long. The way they did it is by pulling a towel upwards and I would just roll over. While lying on my sides, they had a bigger pillow under my head and a pillow between my legs. I still do that now. It's quite comfortable. While on my back, I used a lower / softer pillow for my head and stacked pillows under my knees to release pressure off my back. I still do that now as well.

I don't remember the day of surgery at all. My husband says that I was pretty much out of it for the first 12 hours or so. By Saturday I was becoming a little bit more coherent (speaking jibberish) and by Sunday after I got my brace they had me walking. I think on Monday they had me walk up and down a flight of stairs, Tuesday I took a shower and Wednesday they sent me home.

I do remember being really itchy the first few days. They took me off the morophine and put me on a diluted drip and I was scratching the sking off my body - mom came and cut my nails down to nothing. They did give me a shot in my belly for the itching and that helped. I started eating food on Monday (I think) liquids only. I had been allowed to chew on ice chips up until that point.

Once I got home, my mom pretty much took care of me the same way they did in the hospital, but each day I was getting better. Now I can pretty much turn on my own. I definitely feel stronger and stronger every day.

I hope this information helps you some. If you have additional questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,
                            Nickie

Comment

I remember being so drowsy that i didn't care if i was lying upside down or whatever!!!... you really won't remember a lot...but i do remember my mouth being soooo dry!

Comment

Working...
                              X