Surgery or No Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery or No Surgery?

I'm sure this question has been posed many times in this forum. I have a sister that is 16yrs with a S curve. 45 degrees lower curve and 61 degrees upper curve. She does not have any pain or discomfort due to scoliosis.

I understand that if she does not have surgery, she may have cardiac & breathing problems later in life. I also know that it is better to have the surgery when you are younger versus older. I've done quite a bit of research on the immediate and long term effect of having and not having the surgery. A lot of people still have some degree of pain decades after the surgery depending on the type of instruments used. Harrington vs. Cotrel-Dubousset. One concern is disk degenerative disease.

This feels like a no win solution to me right now. If she doesn't get the surgery, she risks a worsening curve and potential problems. If she has surgery, she risks a host of other complications. After doing more research, I'm still unsure on what to do. Of course we all will sit her down, give her the pros and cons and give her the ultimate decision. It's so hard to see a loved one need surgery but I'm know it is worse for the person needing surgery.

LindaRacine replied with:

hkt...

It's definitely a difficult decision. Most people who have scoliosis surgery are pain free and happy with their results. I have links to abstracts of a bunch of scoliosis outcome studies on my website at:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/Outcomes.htm

Regards,
    Linda

Hello Linda,
    I am gemma and i have Scoliosis.
    Mine is a 50 degree curve at the top and 43 degree at the bottom.
    Unfortunatly i have to have an operation!
    It is just my opinion but i would suggest that if your curve was bigger than 50 you should go for an op but if it is below then you should stick with a brace!
    Best of luck for your sister!
    Gemma

Comment

Hi
      Well I'm certainly glad that you know a lot of pros and cons already, and the negative effects that can result from not going through surgery.
      With a 61 degree curve like that, I definitely suggest the surgery. I am 17 and had spinal fusion done back in November, I also had appx. 60 degree curves which constantly progressed rapidly a few months before scheduled surgery. Honestly, I think that she should go through with the surgery because you're very right...her curves will probably progress, and she could be humped over and crippled badly by the time she's in her 30's. Terrible to imagine that, that's why I'm glad I had the surgery done. I belive that there are most of the time more positive affects to having the surgery conducted...don't just let her scoliosis go like that and continue to worsen. Keep researching and talking to her doctors. I believe with a positive attitude and an education on scoliosis/surgery/pros/cons, etc. she could pull through great, a lot of people on this board have! Have good luck, ask me any questions you may have anytime
      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

I agree with everyone else who has posted - at 60 degrees surgery is a very good choice. I'm also 16 and had spinal fusion in february.

At the same time, if your sister does not have any back pain and/or is not upset with her physical appearance (short torso, rib protrusion, twisted torso) theres so need to rush into such a big descision. Wait and pick a time that is best for your family and keep your options open.

Good luck.
        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
        L2 to T4
        Braced for 4 years
        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

The truth is, I never really had any back pain/aches either and I had 60 degree curves...surgery last November. I think it depends on the individual, but I already had 54 degrees last May when I found out I even had scoliosis...wouldn't have thought I ever had scoliosis for a second. Sometimes, you don't really get any pain, but I still of course believe with at least a 60 degree curve, surgery's a good option for her. Get it done and overwith now while she's young. If she goes through it well, it will be worth it Good luck!
          "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
          "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Working...
          X