Long-lasting physical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-lasting physical problems

Hi! I'm new to the boards, although I wish I'd joined earlier. High school student, 16, and surgery scheduled for May 24th. Just had a few questions...

For a very active person, are there any really long-lasting physical limitations after surgery? I'm talking about running (not marathons but still regular track and field at school) and high-impact things such as advanced martial arts, in particular.

I realize that it will take some time before I'm able to go back to the things I want to do... but I'm worried that I won't be able to do the high-impact, really physical (that is, fun) activities even later in life because of the spinal fusion.

48 degree RTC, 30 degree lower. I know surgery is the right choice for me, but still very scared, not afraid to admit it. What are the chances that I'll need more surgery in the future??

Any comments appreciated; I'd really just love to hear from other people that have been through this. Thank you.

Stacey

PS To any and all mothers out there: We love you. You are our pillars of strength. Never feel unappreciated.
    Stacey
    High School Student
    48 degree RTC

Hi Stacey,

It's hard to predict whether you will have any long-lasting physical limitations following surgery. Everyone has a different experience. As you know, there will be an initial period of restrictions, which can range anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. It took me about 14 months after surgery (at age 30) before I could run without some pain. Teenagers typically recover faster than that, though. I can't speak to martial arts, but I would speculate that you'll be restricted for several months and then can gradually ease back into at least most of, if not all, of what you did prior to surgery. Most surgeons would tell you to be extremely careful for the first year, and then gradually return to your more physical activities when you feel comfortable.

To address your other question, the chance that you'll need a additional surgeries is low. In the hands of a good surgeon, the surgeries performed in the last 10 years, using the newest surgical instrumentation and surgical techniques, generally result in excellent outcomes and don't require additional surgeries. It does occassionally happen. But your curves are not particularly severe, and given your age your probability for a great outcome is very high. Most of the scary stories you hear about additional surgeries are from people who had Harrington Rods implanted (almost never used anymore) and/or who had other medical conditions which compounded their problems. Really, I wouldn't worry about this.

Best of luck to you!

Dave

Comment

After you have your May spinal fusion, like Dave said, the chances for follow-up surgeries are fairly low. Unless something freaky happens like the fusion not holding, rods breaking, etc. you will be fine! Do not try to worry about that...I know where you're coming from though...I'm a high school senior, 17, had surgery back in Nov., and had to give up barrel racing my horses for a while, which occupies a lot of my life, and my life on the weekends--it's a sport I love to do--and I miss is terribly. Give it at least 6 months-1 year for FULL recovery...it takes about that long for your spine to fuse and heal completely. If all goes well though, after probably 9 mo.-1 year, you will be normal again. My surgeon told me at about the 6 mo. mark you're basically normal again, but up until and after a year...you can do your normal things again, so it's really not too bad considering what major of a surgery it is, and how life-changing it is. Be proud after your surgery, hopefully if all goes well, knowing what kind of surgery you've overcome. Ask anyone on this board who's already been through it. It's a scary but amazing process. After 4 months, I'm already back to most of my normal, "not so stressful" dancing I do...but as I said earlier, I still can't ride horse or show horses. I'm hoping by summer I can at least start riding again however because May will be the 6 month mark for me, and hopefully I can start to slowly and gradually return to it. We'll just see though. If your school is like mine, do you ran track in the spring? If so...6 months for you will be Nov., and you can still give your back another appx. 3 months for extra healing before track would start, so I'm wondering if you might actually be able to run next year (or do whatever you do). You'll really just have to see how surgery goes, it's a long process, and takes lots of time to recover from it. Good luck to you though, and if you have any more questions, let me know
      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWolpert
        Hi Stacey,

It's hard to predict whether you will have any long-lasting physical limitations following surgery. Everyone has a different experience. As you know, there will be an initial period of restrictions, which can range anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. It took me about 14 months after surgery (at age 30) before I could run without some pain. Teenagers typically recover faster than that, though. I can't speak to martial arts, but I would speculate that you'll be restricted for several months and then can gradually ease back into at least most of, if not all, of what you did prior to surgery. Most surgeons would tell you to be extremely careful for the first year, and then gradually return to your more physical activities when you feel comfortable.

To address your other question, the chance that you'll need a additional surgeries is low. In the hands of a good surgeon, the surgeries performed in the last 10 years, using the newest surgical instrumentation and surgical techniques, generally result in excellent outcomes and don't require additional surgeries. It does occassionally happen. But your curves are not particularly severe, and given your age your probability for a great outcome is very high. Most of the scary stories you hear about additional surgeries are from people who had Harrington Rods implanted (almost never used anymore) and/or who had other medical conditions which compounded their problems. Really, I wouldn't worry about this.

Best of luck to you!

Dave
        I just finished reading your book. I am more informed than before but I still have this nagging questions about whether we should go for the surgery or not. My 15 y.o son has double curvature of T11-L4 50 and T5-T11 49. Advanced about 5-7 deg. since Nov. The surgeon's opinion is his curve is progressive one and it is optimum time to do it now. But my feeling is that his curve might start to stabilize and if it advances few deg from now on why open up the spine and invite all those pain (which he does not have any). I voiced this but the doctor feels that since there isn't any new development in the horizon waiting will not compensate the risk of progressing. I think a few deg difference might be human error when they measured it. The surgeon said he is done growing. I am also terribly worried since my son is so skinny. What about those hardwares he had to carry around in his body. His surgeon did say my son is very thin but since it is deep under the muscle it should be okay. When I read the Forum a few people addressed this and if you are so thin it will irritate more not to mention you feel like carrying a backpack. I am having most difficult time manuvering this site so there are good reason to worry i might not find this site again and could you email me back erinc777@gmail.com if it is possible.
        Thanks. Erin
        There are few other things I need to ask you but I am terrible with the writing English and if I can call you that would be much easier for me.

Comment

Working...
        X