Marching Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marching Band

This is my second year of marching band. Last year I played xylophone and this year I play cymbals. Thie year, my back has been hurting a lot more, a long with my hips and my shoulders. At the beginning of band camp, I wasn't having any real problems. But now, with the marching season almost over, I can barely play five minutes without my right shoulder killing me. Also, sometimes my hip starts to hurt while we are marching. I think that my scoliosis is what's causing the pain, or at least a part of it. Has anyone else had something similar like this happen to them, or any suggestions on how to ease/ prevent the pain?
    an out-of-the-ordinary, 15-year-old chic.
    diagnosed with scoliosis in 2002.
    a sparatic thinker, a heavy party-goer.

It probably takes a lot more upper body strength and core strength to play the cymbals. Maybe try doing some strengthening exercises might help...like crunches or holding in the push up position (called plank) and stuff like that. But remember it takes time to develop the muscle strength. Make sure you are tightening your core (abs and back) while you play....don't slouch. Just a few more weeks of marching season left.
    Hope this helps,
    an ex-band nerd!
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

thanks.. of course, i have the second biggest pair of cymbals... 18"... ive been trying to stretch out more during my weightlifting class because its too cold to walk the track.. two of the machines i was working on were abs n lower back.. would that be helping me, using the machines for that?

(friday is the last season game! i just hope we dont end up going to state like last year. december is way too cold for band!!!)

Comment

those sound like what you need! you might look into some pilate or yoga poses too! Good luck
        Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
        Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

ill try to do some. thanks!

Comment

Boy you are playing the big boys. I know how heavy they are... being an ex-snare player with scoliosis. I lifted weights to target my shoulders and upper back to prepare me to carry the snare which was 35 pounds during those days. Hang in there and to let you know people that have no back problems have a difficult time getting use to playing 18 inch cymbal. Remember you are working muscles that you don't normally work so hang in there.

Comment

haha... thank god we lost our game on friday.. i was frozen solid and numb.. so cold and in so much pain... but now i'll only have to play the cymbals for the memorial day parade in may and im done. no more band for me!

Comment

that sucks do u wear a brace if so how long if not long it's probably the brace be brave!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X