Kyphosis and the spinecor brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyphosis and the spinecor brace

I just registered onthis site because of the information regarding the spinecor brace. Has anyone used it with success for a scheuermann's kyphosis patient.
    My son has recently been diagnosed and I am looking at it as a hard brace alternative. Thanks

Hi,

According to last year's SRS presentation, Dr. Rivard mentions that the spinecor is being used to treat kyphosis patients. Although there are different types of kyphosis and your son has the more aggressive one ??? I don't know if the spinecor is used mainly to treat postural kyphosis and not Scheuermann's kyphosis. The best thing to do is call Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard. Anyway.. here is the video if you're interested, it's the presentation at 8:48 a.m.

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/def...&conf=3&edi=12
    Last edited by Celia; 10-17-2006, 09:55 PM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Here is a presentation on Scheuermann's kyphosis and it really is inspiring.

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/default.asp?np=surgery

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
        Here is a presentation on Scheuermann's kyphosis and it really is inspiring.

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/default.asp?np=surgery
        Hi, Thank you for the video site. I had some trouble playing it but I will keep on trying. We are headed to dupont hospital on Monday for a second opinion with my son, Andy. Eventually, I see us going to NY to try the Spinecor brace

Comment

Gwenk,

I assume you are from my area. I live in Bucks County, Pa. My daughter has been in the Spinecor for a year. My only regret is that I didn't go straight to Montreal to get her fitted, braced and monitored. I never thought to do that because who thinks to leave the United States to get a brace?

They are the creators of the brace and therefore the experts. Hindsight is 20/20. It's too late for me to start in Montreal, but it's not too late for you. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just telling you what I regret not doing.

Melissa
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Wenk,
            My daughter wore the spinecor for 16 months, until last spring; At that time, that brace was not holding her curves; We didnīt come back to our spinecor-doc to readjust the brace , because she has quite big curves, and we decided to put her in a hard brace (which she is still wearing).
            Today, i think that if i had to make that decision again, i would try the spinecor , but going to Montreal, at least for the first appointment. (Iīm from Europe, quite far if you need to go every three months). Several parents here have gone to Montreal, and they only say wonderful things about Coillard and Rivard.
            This is only my two cents; Good luck!
            2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38š. Risser 0.
            Treatment: Cheneau brace
            2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25š

Comment

Ailea,

I meant to ask you this before but what brace is your daughter currently wearing ?? Is it the Cheneau ? You have heard of Dr. Rigo haven't you ? From what I hear he's very good AND he's based in Spain.

Canadian eh

Comment

Ailea, as your daughter is wearing a hardbrace anyway; have you heard about the German brace maker Rahmouni ?? (Cheneau type, but apparantly achieves lots of correction from the beginning, hence improving chance of succes) From what I'd gathered from german forums, that's where I'd go if i wanted a hardbrace

Comment

lookin into a MOntreal trip

Hi,

I am looking into a Montreal trip based on all the good things I have heard. I e-mailed them this morning so maybe it wont be too long..
                  Thanks everyone.

Gwen

Comment

Celia and Gerbo,
                    My daughter is now wearing a Cheneau, She has had it since the first month, when she was diagnosed (sept 2003).
                    Iīve heard of rahmouni, and iīve seen the great reduction it is able to achieve. But we chose Dr Rigo, perhaps because of the connection he has with Dr Cheneau, and of course because he is in Spain too!. The first time we saw him, my daughter was still wearing the spinecor, and he advised us to use her "old" Cheneau. Since few months later, she is wearing that old brace, that has been modified several times. We visit our orthos very often, so thatīs another reason why we didnīt choose Rahmouni; We canīt fly Germany every month!
                    2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38š. Risser 0.
                    Treatment: Cheneau brace
                    2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25š

Comment

that makes sense, you clearly have been considering your options very carefully......

Comment

Working...
                      X