Heels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heels

Does anyone know of experiencing intense pain after wearing heels? I had my surgery about a year and a half ago, and I wore heels for the first time this past weekend. i hurt so bad i couldnt move for a whole dayafter. is this normal? im still sort of hurting even now.

Sorry to hear you are in pain. I was one of the lucky ones. I started wearing heels again at about 1 mo. post-op. They never bothered me and still don't.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Same here, I wore these major heels for my niece's baptism even though everyone told me not to at about 10 months or so post op and oooohhh the pain! I was one of the Godmothers(we were two) and wanted to look good But anyway, I never wore heels before the surgery unless for weddings b/c I had lower back pain and don't like heels for everyday wear anyway, but the pain post op wearing them was worse, it hurt all over my fusion.

The pain you have now will pass, and depending if you were a heel wearer before surgery it will probably get better with time. No heels for me, except a medium heel(my dad has a shoe store and I wear those thick wedge heels that are not too flat, not too low and wore them two years post op for my wedding, they were not bulky and quite feminine looking).
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

my dad has a shoe store
        Lucky. And I also found wedgie heels to be quite comfortable.
        Brandi
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

I wore heels for the first time one year postop on a cruise. They hurt a little and I should have known better than to wear them, because leave it to me to fall down the stairs on formal night! My first thought was, "oh, no, is my back all right?" Luckily all was well except for a scraped knee and a big toenail that I will lose. I never wear heels and think my balance was all off, and, no, I hadn't had a thing alcoholic to drink. But as for heel pain that was absent. Maybe wearing them beforehand and practicing wearing them would have helped.

Comment

heels

Hi! I haven't had the surgery yet, but I have pain from a degenerated disk in my low back and even when I am pain-free, wearing heels (even an inch!) is a recipe for disaster. Last week I attempted to wear some and by the evening was in major pain. My physical therapist said that this could be because the heels tip the low back into a certain position, but could also be because of a lack of padding in some shoes. For me the possibility of altering a pain-free state just isn't worth wearing heels - but it does make shoe choice a bit more problematic!
            30y/o
            Upper curve around 55
            Lower curve around 35

Comment

I think it is a matter of weather you are a heel wearer prior to surgery or not. I wore HIGH heels all the time. I asked my P.T. when I could again and he thought 6 months was a good mark if I had to do it. I have worked into them slowly beginning with 2" and now up to 3 1/2''. I need to wait a bit to see about getting back into the 4 & 4 1/2" monsters! I went shopping in 3 1/2" heels and lasted 2 1/2 hours. A few days later in tennies I lasted 8 hours. (I am making up for lost shopping time! LOL!) Try to gradually work into them (heels) by wearing them a bit then changing shoes. It might help. It sounds like you jumped into heels and wore them too long for your first attempt after being out of them for 1 1/2 years. That has happened to friends of mine who had no back problems.

Brandi, 1 month and back into heels? You are my idol.

Judik, You were on a ship and they move! I think it was the ships fault! I remember dancing on the ship and it was weird, I had to pay attention to the sway of the ship and put it to the music.

Comment

Suzy -

I am like you, I wore heels all of the time. I had become teeny tiny over the years due to loss of inches (from the scoli, of course). Even my flip flops and tennies are wedgie heels.
                Brandi
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Working...
                X