6 year old girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 year old girl

My 6-year old daughter was just diagnosed. She is 38% lower curve and 44% upper. We will see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. Her pediatrician thought that she might be braced for awhile but that surgery is very likely. I've been unable to find much on kids this age. She has no other health problems. Can anyone tell me what I can expect -- what is the brace like? What is the surgery recovery time? How much school will she miss? Is there a lot of pain after surgery? Is the outcome favorable?

We live in St. Paul, MN and will be seeing the pediatric orthopedists at Gillette.

Thanks for any advice.

Nancy

re: gillette

Nancy: we have 3 daughters that were just diagnosed this past month. they are
    3,5,& 6. Our 5 yr old is 39 thoracic and 33 lumbar. I worked many many years for orthopedic surgeons and have been in contact with them along with 2 pediatric orthopedic surgeons that have seen our girls. Everyone has told me that the 5 yr old unfortunetly will ultimately have surgery at some point. thats not what we want to hear. Our pediatrician and a physical therapist highly recommended Gillette to us to seek an opinion, but it will come down to a tlso brace from them just like everyone else...23 hrs a day for approx 10years. we want our daughters to live a fuller life if possible so we are driving from WI to Eerie PA to see about spinecor bracing. we had researched it on our own but the group of people on this forum sharing info make us feel that there could be hope for a better outcome if the girls meet the criteria to try the spinecor bracing. our 5yr old was casted today to have a tlso specially made for her and it was heartwrenching to see her lay there and cry.......so its not been a good day for me as a mom. you need to do whats best for you and your children.

Comment

Hey

I don't believe your daughter should need surgury if she gets a brace it should be able to get straighter because she still has many many years of growing. For me i got my brace when i was 11 and had about a half of a year left to grow and my doc. predicted that my back will stay the same and will not get better. He also said that if I was younger he might of predicted more deprogresion(???)
      well i think you will be fine and no need for surgury
      Mák Veronika
      14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
      40T
      54L
      +rotation
      Boston Brace since December 2005
      Location in Florida

I play flute.
      I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

yes i agree with cloudy. she does have alot of growing left!
        Annie. (61* Before surgery 8* after, Surgery 1990)
        Mother of
        Anna, age 11, 54* curve (surgery on 9/2)
        Mack, age 7, 32* curve (TLSO Brace)
        Meghan, age 2 18* curve (Monitering)
        www.potterfamily.piczo.com

Comment

Nancy,
          My daughter got a TLSO braces when she was Five she is now 8. They aren't as bad as they seem or look. I really worried about what they other kids would think, but she showed them hers and they all started writing on it like it was a cast!
          Hope this will help!
          Denise

Comment

Thanks, that is very helpful. Will she need surgery at some point?

Nancy

Comment

6yr old

nancy m - what about a growing rod, or vertabal stapeling, sounds like an S-curve- can be most agressive especially in girls. sometimes bracing fails. read this book, The scoliosis sourcebook, authors-michael neuwirth md & kevin osborn. my daughter has s-curve & brace didn't work 55*& 45* age 15 now, diagnosed when she was 9. surgery on oct. 17th w/ dr. boachie in ny . do lots of research!!!!!!!!! good luck.

Comment

Hi Nancy,

I agree with longislandmom that you may want to look into other options since your daughter is facing so many years of bracing. My son had the stapling done when he was 5 years old for that very reason (to try to avoid many more years of bracing). If you have any questions you can e-mail me at mariaf305@yahoo.com.

Whatever you decide I wish you the very best of luck
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks Maria. I will probably contact you after I find out more today at our appointment. It is nice to have contact with someone whose child is about the same age.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy,

You're very welcome. It was very frustrating when David was first diagnosed not to have anyone to talk to who had a child the same age, dealing with the same issues, concerns, etc.

E-mail me anytime,
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                    X