Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Question...

Hi everyone,

All the answers, stories, and everything have been incredibly helpful as I decide what in the world I'm going to do. Still waiting for my flexibility x-ray appointment on 10/17 and then a second opinion before I take the plunge. But there's a question I've been dying to know that I can't really find an answer to...

Those of you that have had surgery, have any of you returned to "normal" so to speak? In otherwords, no more pain, no constant thoughts of the hardware, aches, pains, etc.? Just wondering if people have achieved a point where they simply stopped having post-op symptoms and aches and are simply "fine" now with no issues. Or if not, are you getting close?

I have an S curve - upper 50 degree, lower about 43 degree. They are trying to only fuse the top part...

Brian
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Hi Brian,

That's one of those questions that we probably can't answer. We can only tell you our experiences, and each one of them will most likely be different. And none will compare to your experience.

Before my surgery, I could never get a good nights sleep. I was always in pain. I would toss, turn and squirm until I would find a position that I could deal with, then sleep a little and repeat the process all night long. Now I can lay in bed and have no pain. For me that's been one of the biggest assets from this surgery.

With each passing month, I become less and less aware of the hardware. I know it's there, but it's not an issue for me. I can sit for long periods of time without pain, which I couldn't do pre-op. I now walk without a limp caused from the pain after being on my feet for several hours.

Am I "normal"??? What is "normal" for someone with progressive scoliosis???Without a doubt, I can honestly say that all the pain I had before my surgery, is gone. That doesn't mean that I don't still have some aches and pains every now and then.

I don't think there is formula that will answer your question. Are there concessions that I have had to make? Well of course, I have 2 fricking rods up my back. Was it worth it? Absolutely!!!

Hospital Bill...$315,000.00
    A good night's sleep and 18 holes of golf without pain...Priceless

Shari

Comment

It depends on what normal means

Brian,

I have heard post-op people say on here that there is some healing going on for 1 - 2 years after surgery. Not sure at what point they say they actually feel "normal".

As far as going back to their jobs, most say 3-6 months although it may take longer for some depending on what their job involves. Some have to go back part-time for a while or have restrictions on their duties to avoid lifting, bending, or twisting.

My surgeon won't even allow me to have physical therapy until the 3 month mark.

Deb
      posterior surgery 7/24/06

Comment

I have NOT had surgery, but I would like to add that I ask myself that question a lot too. I think the thing is that a lot of people who have had the surgery no longer think every day about their scoliosis and may just not be online on websites like this one. (I'm grateful, however for all of you that ARE on this website even with the most positive experiences, because it's very informative and uplifting for us who are not "on the other side yet")

But I have noticed some people on this site that have gone on with their lives even in the short time I've been a member. I think, well maybe they just dont' have any more questions or problems, because they're feeling back to their normal selves. Hopefully that is the case.

I think being "normal" is what you make of it. My mom said to me the other day, "you never had back pain until this year" and I said "Yes I did, I just didn't complain about it - it's normal for me, I live with it!"

Best of luck with your decision.

Comment

JamieAnn,

You are so right! Most of the people who were on here when I joined never come back on. I know that the ones I use to talk to all had surgery after me. But, I'm still here just not as much, especially this last month. I switched jobs at school to a PEIMS Clerk (input all the student records) from working in the library. I was going home everyday so tired and hurting so much from all the up and down, lifting of books, etc. I also still have back issues that we have not quite finished yet.

What you said about the pain is also so true. Pain is just something that we learn to live with, it's an everyday thing for me. But what other choice do we have? Lay in bed and moan and groan or live our lives the best we can and enjoy it. Most of us don't really have a choice in whether or not to do the surgery. In my case, I was already feeling my lungs becoming involved and my sternum had shifted from the center of my chest to the right. The way I look at it is, that I chose to have the surgery to live my life as normal as possible. If that means taking pills for the rest of my life because of nerve damage, or having muscle and mechanical pain due to my body living the way it did for so long that it is now resisting and fighting the corrections, oh well. At least I'm alive, not living with a wheelchair, and able to enjoy my family. Just because we don't complain, doesn't mean that we aren't hurting. It's just that we choose to enjoy life as best as we can and try to forget the hurt.

I'm dragging on here, so I better get off and go sew!
          Last edited by Theresa; 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

"Normal" is so subjective. To me, I feel more normal because I am not suffering with that awful, debilitating pain anymore. Do I still feel like I'm recovering from surgery? Yes, but I feel myself improving all the time. I feel myself getting stronger all the time. I find I don't think about my surgery everyday anymore.
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Brian,

I think that many people can say that they have healed after whatever time it took their body to adjust from surgery and they are feeling as normal as one can, meaning a fused spine will never be like a non fused one(meaning not as flexible), but they are pain free for the most part and don't feel the hardware.

I felt like that for at least five years until my rod broke, but did have some stiffness in my neck and lower back that aren't fused b/c it's quite common that a fusion can cause that. Having a bigger curve before surgery wasn't making me "normal" like people who don't have scoliosis though.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it though if I were you, b/c you will only have your thoracic spine fused and not much flexibility will be lost, unless you're a professional dancer and you do backflips for example
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Brian--- I am a little over 2 mths post-op... I am driving(locally), doing laundry w/ my grabber(I mean lots!!!), & cooking a few gourmet meals here & there....I'm feeling pretty good these days! Lynne
                Post/ant surgery AUG. 1st/2006 by Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim@ HSS inNYCity
                original thorocolumbar curve was 95(is'nt 90 a right angle??!) reduced into the 50's, upper curve was left alone, possibly will correct itself??
                http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Sweetness,

I used to be able to do a few backflips in high school, but haven't done them for a while so I think I will be okay there! And I don't see myself on "Dancing with the Stars" anytime soon (as I can't dance, am not a "star," and can't fill Jerry Springer's shoes on that show...)

For everyone:

I completely understand everyone's comments about "normal." And I know I won't know for sure what it is until after I have surgery, assuming I do so. I just wake up some days (like now) and have no pain at all - maybe a little stiffness here and there, but that's it. I don't think about it - and I'm hoping that after surgery, I'll just wake up one day eventually and "won't even think about it."

Guess I'll know more soon! You all are GREAT!
                  32 y/o male
                  S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                  Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Hi Brian-
                    I know the decision is more difficult when you don't have pain. I have almost no pain and am having surgery in December. I am 45 and my curve is severe-I know I will have problems later on if I don't so I am going ahead with it. I too worry that I will have pain from the surgery -when I feel fine now- but it has progressed over the years and I feel sure if I wait any longer I may be sorry. For me accepting this has taken a little time but this forum has been a huge help-knowing there are others who have survived it!
                    Cathie

Comment

normal... athletic?

Hi Brian and others.
                      I WANT to be "normal" after my surgery. I love to exercise. It is such a big part of my life, being flexible, strong, fit. It makes the progression of my curves feel so unfair, although I know we have all experienced it. Those people who claim that exercise, health, etc., can stop it... not always so!!!! I keep researching to read about people who are really active in sports, working out, with rods/ spinal fusion adn I am not finding much. Please, everyone, send me whatever you know/ hear about this subject!
                      60 plus lumbar, 45 thoracic
                      first time surgery maybe in Dec 2006
                      40 years old, single professional mommy

Comment

Some flexibility will be lost but it depends on how many vertebreas will be fused and in regards to sports, you will maybe do certain things differently.

As far as certain exercises, the only ones that some doctors don't recommend are the ones that make the spine bounce hard, like jogging and that's for at least a year post op. Some doctors restrict it for good for some patients, b/c it is harder on the unfused vertebreas but it's mostly what you will be able to do without beng in pain that will make you decide if you want to do them. If you're very athletic already you will be probably be able to do most of your exercises.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                        X