rods different lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rods different lengths

My daughter had surgery 4 years ago at 14 yrs. old. Since the very first x-ray her doctor said one rod is longer than it should be but leave it alone. She has pain on and off depending on how active she is. She used to ride horses and play softball but cannot do these things anymore. I feel her quality of life should be much better at her young age. Her doctor says it could be the length of the rods but cannot be sure until they operate. Should she have a 2nd surgery. I will definitely have to convince her since she is afraid after the first one. Any one ever have this problem? Thanks!, Grace

Hi Grace,

I think getting at least one other opinion is best at this point. Does the ortho suggest having an MRI to determine if the length of the rod is causing nerve problems? Did he contribute the pain and change of lifestyle to the rods directly? I'd be asking some very specific questions... you are right - at her age, life shouldn't revolve around back pain and restrictions. However, horseback riding and anything that potentially jars the spine can contribute to more problems down the road (the nature of the act can wear out the remaining disks, etc.). Maybe if her lifestyle needs to be altered to be pain-free, that's something she needs to consider. Again, in-depth discussions with your ortho and/or others for their opinion will help. Also, maybe talking to other people her age with similar surgical backgrounds would help. Just my thoughts...
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Has your daughter been horseback riding since her surgery, and if so, how long did she wait post surgery to ride again? Do you think this might be the cause of the rod problems? I'm asking because I'm an avid english rider, and my doctor has told me to wait a year before I ride again.

Good luck!
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

hey

hi i am sarah and i had back surgery march 2nd 2004. im fine now and on july first i get to do all the riding bikes and all that good stuff so i am really excited. anyway. my rods are two different sizes so i dont know why the doctor said its such a problem for you. mine are supposed to be like that but maybe you had some kind of diffferent surgery!!
        sarah

Comment

I have just seen my daughters first xrays with the rods, taken last week. Her surgery was 6 1/2 weeks ago. The rod on the inside of the curve at the top is shorter than the other one. It hasn't caused problems so far. I thought it was like this so that the top of it didn't rub on what's left of the curve above it. How much shorter is your daughters other rod?
          Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
          X