Big waist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big waist

I had surgery for scoliosis about 5 yrs ago and the operation was a success. Something that bothers me a little though is that my waist seems out of proportion witht rest of me. My stomach seems to stick out a lot. I might be carrying a few extra pounds but it seems that I have the waist and stomach size of a much heavier or bigger person. Does anyone else with scoliosis have a big waist or stomach? I'm wondering whether it's the scoliosis that is the cause or whether I've simply gotten to be too heavy.

Hi Frosty...

I have no waist on my left side and almost nothing on my right side. I believe that's because my ribcage is rotated down and is only about 1/2" from my pelvis on my left side.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm at a healthy weight-5'5" about 125 pounds- but my waist has always been a bit big compared to the rest of my body, and I do have a bit of a "pouch" but it runs in the family especially on my dad's side so I don't think the scoliosis is linked to it, as nobody in my family has scoliosis.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I still have a pouch as well, but I'm not sure if it's still swollen from surgery or just because I'm not exercising nearly as much as before the surgery.
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

Lack of muscle tone

Could it be that after the fusion we are not able to bend or exercise the muscles in the abdomen as much as before and hence they can not be kept as firm? Really all you can do are isometric contractions of the abdomen. Also, if you have a remaining curve on one side it will fill in your waist.

The surgeon told me before surgery that you do lose muscle tone in your back because the muscles are lifted off the spine during surgery. It probably affects the abdomen as well.

Deb

Comment

I've not had my surgery yet, and since my curvature has progressed, my waist has definitly gotten thicker and my stomach seems fatter and it really seems that since I've shrunk over 2 inches, those inches have all squished up in the middle! I was hoping my middle would "stretch" out some IF I get to gain any height back after surgery. Now I'm wondering!?

I've also heard that the scoliosis gene tends to run in females, of northern european desent, and body types with wider waist and smaller breasts. Who knows! But I do know that at my age (57), the waist does get thicker for many of us anyway. Darn!

Neither of my parents have scoliosis, nor do we know anyone else in our family that does. Besides myself, my younger sister has it much milder than I do. So it must be back in our family tree somewhere.

berta
            Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by Cakedec
              Could it be that after the fusion we are not able to bend or exercise the muscles in the abdomen as much as before and hence they can not be kept as firm? Really all you can do are isometric contractions of the abdomen. Also, if you have a remaining curve on one side it will fill in your waist.

The surgeon told me before surgery that you do lose muscle tone in your back because the muscles are lifted off the spine during surgery. It probably affects the abdomen as well.

Deb
              I've had no problem keeping my abs tight since I started doing ab strengthening several years ago.

If you're referring to the asymmetry that's been discussed, that is not at all controllable by exercise.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I can only speak for me, and my body shape. I had always a bigger waist and little pouch even when I was 5'4", 90 pounds(very skinny) in my teen years.

I haven't had anterior so for me it has nothing to do with that, and even if I work on my abs I still have fat that stays there, as my body shape is made like that(like I said runs in the family), again I'm not convinced it has to do with scoliosis but maybe for some who have bigger lumbar curves it can enhance it.
                Last edited by sweetness514; 09-26-2006, 02:04 PM.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Article found online

Hi to all....I am not experiencing the bigger waist, etc., but do remember reading an article on Dr. Michael O. LaGrone's website about this. Below is the quote regarding the change in waistline size on his site at http://www.scoliosismd.com/articles/...is_inadult.htm

"An adult with progressive scoliosis may notice a loss of height, a change in waistline, leaning more to one side, an enlarging hump on the back, or a change in the way clothes fit. The definitive way to determine whether or not a curve is progressing is to compare x-rays taken over a period of time."

He has great information on his site that has been very helpful to me. Hope this helps.

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
                  1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
                  1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
                  1977 Rods removed
                  2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
                  2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                  X