It's been 12 weeks already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been 12 weeks already!

Hi everyone. Well it has been 12 weeks since my op and i can say i almost feel like my old self. I am doing pretty much everything. I am going clubbing in 2 weeks and i am wearing high heels no worries. I do have a couple of things that i am a bit worried about. Firstly, my back is still numb and it feels very hot to touch, even when i'm cold. Has anyone had this problem. Also, my menstrual cycle has still not started yet and i was wondering if anyone had this problem because it would sure put my mind to rest.
    My scar is healing well and I have put on some more weight. To everyone contemp;lating or awaiting this surgery, my experience has been nothing but positive. My friends and family can not believe how well and quickly i have recovered. I hope you can all share the same as me.
    Katie

Katie,
    I'm so happy that you're feeling so good about your recovery! It's a great feeling to feel like you're getting back to your old self isn't it? My menstrual cycle never stopped, in fact, I had it while in the hospital so I can't help you there. My back still has numb spots and will probably always have some numb spots, but they're never felt hot. Keep up the great recovery!

Comment

amazing how fast we recover..!

Katie- so glad you are feeling well! It is amazing how fast the recovery can be with a big surgery like this!! We must both have excellent surgeons(I know I do..!!!) I am at 7 weeks & this morning I woke up feeling great & it continued all day!!! Makes one want to do a million & one things but I do try to tread carefully so I don't over do with my new body & pay for it with aches the next day!!! still early so far!!!
      As far as the menstrual cycle, I was wondering too since I had it a week & a half before surgery & then still got it about 4 days after surgery & have'nt had it since.....Ly
      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
      fused T-11 to L-5/Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim@ HSS in NYC
      95% thorocolumbar curve reduced into the 50's

Comment

Hi Katie

Congrats for getting to the 12 week post-op point! So glad that it has been positive for you. Mine has been similar! Aren't you glad that our pre-surgical fears and anxieties never came to pass!

I also had the hot spots the first 5 weeks or so, but haven't noticed them recently. I assume that they are part of the healing process, but you might mention them to your surgeon. Also, as far as the menstrual cycle, I had one right after surgery, then every four weeks after that. Did you lose a lot of weight or are you real thin because that might be the reason if your body fat has gone down a lot. I'd also ask the dr. if it sometimes takes a while for normal cycles to resume in some patients.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Deb
        age 47
        posterior surgery 7/24/06
        for T70,L76 S curve
        30 degree correction
        "DON'T WAIT"

Comment

Hi Katie,
          Thats so good to hear that your recovering really well.... It makes me feel a lot better hearing these kind of speedy recovery.
          Clubbing hey??? I know thats one thing im going to miss after my surgery.
          Anyway keep us posted on your recovery.

Lee
          Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone. I did lose a little bit of weight but I'm very thin anyway so that could be why my period has not come yet. I am not worried, just anxious to know that i still work. Another thing, did any of you have trouble with tight bra straps making the back spasm a bit.
            Katie

Comment

Glad to hear everything went well and that your experience has been a good one. I can't believe you're going clubbing! You must really be feeling like your old self again.
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Katie,

You go clubbing and have a great time. Just be sure to not push yourself too hard that night. I can comment on the bra straps. I don't get spasms but I feel like everything is too tight on me and I am hypersensitive to tags on the back of my shirts. The spasms might be from you over doing it a bit, I had that happen.

I was so glad to read you felt your experience was nothing but positive. Those who are waiting for their surgery need to hear all the good that is happening with those of us who have gone through it.

Lee, you will go clubbing after your surgery, I just went dancing myself 2 weeks ago. You won't go right from the hospital but you will go again in the future!

Comment

The dancing so soon is amazing but normal to a certain extent but it's the heels like Suzy mentioned that has me really amazed, whoa I guess you have to be used to heels, and I don't remember my ortho saying I couldn't wear any after surgery-or for how long but then again I'm not a heel wearer so I wouldn't know.

Yeah I didn't wear a bra for a while, and it takes a while to get used to super tight clothes(in my case), the nerves are super sensitive and they take some time to get used to clothes and touch. Now that I had another surgery it's the same sensations I get.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Katie,

Congratulations on your recovery. You deserve to have a good time!!!

The numb spots, in my experience do eventually go away for the most part, I still have a few. I had prepared to have my cycle thinking this surgery brought it on, and it didn't happen. Just to confirm that we are all different, I didn't have my period for about 3 months after my surgery. I wonder if it depends on our age?

Shari

Comment

I don't think it has to do with age, b/c I didn't get my period for at least two months after my first surgery and this last surgery I got it the day after surgery-wich was not supposed to start but normal according to my surgeon.

I think it's just one of those physical things that happen b/c of the body reacting to the trauma of surgery, the weight loss, etc and that's a lot of changes for a body to take. Last year when I did a lot of PT I didn't get my period for two months almost, as my body was tired and in a lot of pain b/c I had a broken rod but they didn't see it on Xray and thought it was a spasm and gave me exercises that hurt and made the pain worse.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                      X