Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatment of 10 degree? Golf ok?

Hi,
    Just recently I started to get worried about my scoliosis. I am 37 years old and have a 10 degree idiopathic scoliosis. Currently I am not suffering from this except for some muscle tension that sometimes occur.

It would be great if you could share some of your experience or thoughts on the following.
    Should I worry that the scoliosis gets worse? I heard the curvature increases 1 degree per year.
    Should I do a dedicated muscle training for the bag?
    Should I stop playing golf (started 3 years ago) even though I got heavily infected by this virus ;-)?

Thanks for any reply
    Jochen
    Last edited by jobalino; 04-04-2004, 07:55 AM.

Hi Jochen...

According to all the research, curves under 30 degrees at skeletal maturity rarely increase. So, it's unlikely that your curve will ever get larger. Technically, it's not even scoliosis.

About 80% of adults have back pain occasionally, so you may indeed have pain on and off in your life. You shouldn't let a 10 degree curve get in the way of whatever you want to do. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,
      Thanks for your reply. That was the first positive message I got regarding my scoliosis.

However it would be interesting to know if some of you either made positive or negative experience with scoliosis and playing golf.

Cheers
      Jochen

Comment

Jochen...

I think most of the participants here have much more severe curves, so it would be difficult to make any comparisons. Joe O'Brien, who is President of the National Scoliosis Foundation, had severe scoliosis and several scoliosis surgeries, still golfs.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X