Surgeon recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeon recommendation?

I have recently been told by 3 different orthopedic surgeons that I need surgery fairly soon. I am relatively young (early 30's and not the most mature, I suppose) and VERY active in many sports so I am really concerned about the long-term consequences of surgery. I would travel pretty much ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD for the best possible surgeon and outcome. I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Hi Twister,

Welcome to this forum. I think you will find many people here that have been quite satisfied with their different surgeons. None of us can tell you what to do, we can only tell you of our individual experiences.

Naturally, we all have some limitations depending on our length of fusion, but I believe the younger you are the faster and better you rebound. You also seem to adapt and adjust to the difference. So far, I have found that there is nothing I can't do. It may take me a little longer and I have had to modify some of my movements.

I was always very athletic, active and had a physical job. I've been golfing twice in the last couple of months and I had less pain each time after I played, than I did before my surgery.

I edited when I read my post and realized I made a mistake. Sorry, maybe too many beers after the game!!!

Shari
    Last edited by Shari; 09-23-2006, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I am having surgery in December with Dr. Boachie in New York- I did alot of research and feel pretty sure there is no one more qualified. Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis comes highly recommended too. Good Luck!!

Comment

Well, I recently had surgery with Dr. Lewis at Sick childrens hospital in Toronto, Canada. But he also does adult scoliosis surgery at Western Hospital (also in toronto) where he works most of the time. He just comes to Sick kids sometimes for scoli surgery since sick kids is short 1 surgeon.

Well, we might have different opinons, but I do think he is an excellent surgeon. From all that i've heard and seen from his cases, he is a pretty well known surgeon at both hospitals. He preformed my surgery in about 3 hours and I constantly hear nurses joking that he could probably preform 2 surgeries in the same day if the hospital let him. I also had a pretty great correction (although it varies).

Good luck at find a surgeon
        [Name] Linda
        [Curve] 65* & 40*
        [Age] 15
        [Surgery] July 20, 2006
        [Post Op Curve] 13* & 14*

Comment

UCSF Spine Center

Hi,
          My mom just got her spine surgery done at UCSF Spine Clinic in San Francisco. They were great. I can't say enough good about them.

Take care,
          Laura

Comment

Hi Laura,

How is your Mom???

Shari

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks everyone for the response. I am in Southern CA so some of the recommendations are a bit difficult to research but I really appreciate the replies. At this point, I suspect that I am less concerned with the surgeon than the surgery which I would do just about anything to avoid!

Comment

cedars sinai

TwisterLa,

I have had my past 3 surgeries done by dr.robert pashman at cedars sinai hospital. He is very good as all his collegues are, but he is head of the deparment. Also there are a couple at UCLA that are very good. Dr. Wong is one of them at ucla. But my recommendation would be dr.pashman. If you need any other help I would be more than happy to help you. I live about 1 hour north of la.
                Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Working...
                X