Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery questions

Hi
    I am having surgery by Dr. Errico (NY). He said he is going to fuse me to L3. I guess it is L3 because he said he wasn't going to fuse the last two, but I don't know where he is going to start the fusion because I have a upper curve too. Those of you that have had a similar fusion can you tell me
    How long was your hospital stay?
    How soon were out of bed? and
    How long before you were able to use the bathroom? I am a little worried about the catheter- hoping to get rid of it ASAP. Last time I had one I got an infection.

Thanks
    Sue

I was in the hospital a total of 8 days. Five days in ICU. I think about the fourth day they removed my catherter. I had to surgeries 2 days apart. Anterior laparoscopy then 2 days later posterior approach. They removed my arterior line the same day they removed my catherter. They removed my chest tube on the fifth day the day I went to a regular room.
    Good luck Mattie

Comment

I am fused L1-S1. I was in the hospital for 7 days, in ICU for 5, out of bed 2 days later, went to the bathroom on my own around the 3rd day (can't really remember). I had no problems with my catheter.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

My daughter was fused from T7 - L3 when she was 14 and was in the hospital for 5 days. She had two rods put in, so she did not have to wear a brace when she came home. 30+ years ago, when I had my fusion, we stayed in the hospital for a month! How fast you get out is up to you and your doctor. A lot has to do with how you handle pain.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I was in the hospital for 7 days. I had A/P in the same day. I was in the ICU for 5 days- after which my catheter and direct IV line was removed (sorry- not sure of the technical usage of the words). Honestly, I remember going to the bathroom by myself for the first time-but I do not really remember the cath being taken out.
          Angela
          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

My hospital stay was about a week. I was up by the third day(the second day after surgery), and I think they removed the cathetar at about day 5. I also was getting a urinary infection from it, and so they gave me antibiotocs.

I was in the ICU for only the day of surgery.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I guess my stay will be about a week (if everything goes okay).

Sue

Comment

suzyjay--
                I was in 10days... & I know they gave me a bed pan by 4-5 days(I think) I was startled & thought I'll never be able to use a bed pan ever!!...It took me a bit to get going but it worked out... I did tell the nurses that I would never do anythg more than #1 in it... I was walked into the bthroom of the hospital after about 5 days, I think...Ps.once your can master the bed pan it is a great relief not to get your butt out of bed after this surgery...
                PSS... By the time I was at the rehab, I was able to zip in the bthroom via wheelchair which was a pain in the a__ because I kept bumping into my neighbors bed & the damned bathroom door...but I managed...luckily my roommate was hard of hearing & without her hearing aids when I swore constantly..........Ly
                Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 09-20-2006, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X