MRIs and orthodontic Braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRIs and orthodontic Braces

Hi. Later today I'm getting orthodontic braces and and MRI. I have a few questions.
    1. Do braces (teeth) hurt?
    2. When you cant wear metal with MRIs are braces ok?
    3. Does any1 here have braces?

If someone would answer these questions it would be great!
    Anna
    11 & 6th Grade
    No more brace!
    Had Surgery Sep. 2nd!
    59* curve after surgery
    7* curve after surgery
    Email:
    annapotter95@aim.com

I can at least answer #2, having had an MRI within the last six months.
    You have to notify the person doing the MRI of any metal contained within your body. This is because the metal will distort the scan, and in certain cases (depending on the type of metal) will heat up when it is being scanned.
    Usually they'll just avoid scanning the area with the metal - the MRI scan is very accurate, and avoids the areas that matter pretty easily.
    So all this means is that when you go in for your MRI, you'll notify them of your braces, and they'll likely avoid scanning your head. Not that they're that likely to be scanning your head anyway if you're in for a scan on your spine, of course. You'll be fine.

Comment

thanks! i ll notify them, but they might x ray my head cuz i have scolioisis in my cervical area and in my lower back
      Anna
      11 & 6th Grade
      No more brace!
      Had Surgery Sep. 2nd!
      59* curve after surgery
      7* curve after surgery
      Email:
      annapotter95@aim.com

Comment

My daughter has braces and had a MRI last week.She is to have her head done but is waiting to see if her braces will be coming off soon at her next ortho appointment next week.

She found that it helps to take tylenol before any appointments where they are working on braces as her mouth gets sore.Good luck!

Comment

Hi. I just got my braces like 2 or 3 days ago! my mouth barely hurts and i have wax! im gonna get them tightend every 2 weeks instesd of 4. i have purple elastics and 4 brackets! i hope you can see the picture, i tried to used an attachment, but i'm not sure if it worked. i told them about my braces and they didnt mri that part, they are gonna x ray that part.
          Anna
          11 & 6th Grade
          No more brace!
          Had Surgery Sep. 2nd!
          59* curve after surgery
          7* curve after surgery
          Email:
          annapotter95@aim.com

Comment

My daughters used to have fun with the elastic bands. Orange and Black in October,red and green at christmas etc...You'll be amazed at how fast your teeth straighten! My youngest daughter had to wear 2 phases of braces. We found out Wednesday that if she wears her rubber bands 23-24 hours a day she'll be out of braces in 2-3 months.

Comment

Working...
            X