Really bad shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really bad shoulder pain

Hello all! I was wondering if any of you have shoulder pain with your scoliosis. I have a 35 degree thoracic curve. My doctor told me that my scoliosis caused bursitis in my shoulder. At first, it was just my shoulder blade that hurt, but now, the pain goes all the way around my entire shoulder including the collar bone. It's very painful. I took 2 advil this morning, but it didn't help. Also, my arm is tingly and it hurts as well. Does anyone else have this problem or know of anything I should do?

Thanks!

Michelle
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

I have that sort of pain almost every day. I'm an accountant and work at a desk and computer. When I do a lot of typing or moving around of papers my shoulders really start to hurt. It is like a burning sensation in the muscle and it makes my arm tingle. The shoulder/neck pain starts even when I'm walking. It's like the weight of my arms is what is causing the pain. My doctor said I have a degenerated disc in my neck.

The one thing that works well for the pain is deep tissue massages. My husband has very strong hands and after about 15 minutes of hard pressure massaging, it feels much better.

I hope this helps you,

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm sorry you have to deal with pain. Our pains sound similar. My pain hits just by walking too. Walking around the mall is so painful, even though I'm only carrying a 2 pound purse. What is the degree of your curve? Have you seen a doctor for the pain? I need to start getting massages again.

Thanks again!

Michelle
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I have the same pain

Hi everyone.

I have the same pain you are talking about. I get it all around my shoulder. When I leave work it is so sore and nothing helps it anymore. I thought it was from lifting things at my work but even on my days off it hurts like crazy. I am a hostess at a hotel and I lift heavy coffee pots and menus but one thing I will never lift is trays because I know it will kill my shoulder even more. If anybody has any kinds of methods to deal with the pain please let me know because I am willing to try anything. Thanks again everyone.

Kristina

Comment

I did see my doctor about the shoulder pain. He took x-rays and and MRI. He said I had a couple degenerated discs in my neck and ordered epidural injections.

I had one injection and it worked very well. I still get the pain but not nearly as often. He gave me a muscle stimulator which helps a lot, too. The unit is small enough to take with me to work. I mostly use it at home.

Medications don't seem to help relieve the pain they just make me sleepy.

Melissa

Comment

Where can you buy a muscle stimulator? I think I had a chiropractor use one on me before and it helped a lot. I'm glad the injection worked for you. I had a cortisone shot last year, but it didn't help at all.

Kristina,

I know where you're coming from. I'm a waitress and I have to carry trays and many other things (ice, menus, coffee pots, trash), but I carry with my left arm and my right shoulder is the one that hurts. I'm in college and carrying books around doesn't help either. I noticed on another post that you're having surgery in July. I hope it goes well for you. I'd like to have surgery, but my curve isn't bad enough yet.

Michelle
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2

Comment

RS Medical is the company I got my stimulator from. It was ordered through the doctor at the pain clinic. My insurance company paid for the purchase, which was approximately $2,000.

RS Medical is located in Vacouver, WA
              (888) 528-6132

Melissa

Comment

Michelle,

I go to college to and it kills my shoulder with all those books. I try to carry everything with my right arm since it is my left shoulder that is messed up but my shoulder still hurts like hell. My bosses get upset because I refuse to carry trays but I've told them since day one about me having back problems and shoulder problems. They just found out I was get surgery because I just found out a week ago and now I think it is hitting them that I do have a serious problem and a real excuse why I can't lift these things. Well thanks for all your info. Hope everyone gets better.

Comment

Kristina,

I hope and pray your surgery will go well.

Lily

Comment

Shoulder pain

My scoliosis curve is minor, yet I get left shoulder pain. During chiropractic treatment, my chiropractor probed my left shoulder muscle and found a few muscle knots deep in the muscle. When he gently pushed them back and forth, I could actually feel the lumps myself--from the inside--moving back and forth, kind of like a super-miniature hard boiled egg. (Think smaller than a finch egg.) But the pain was almost blinding when he did it.

My regular M.D. pushed *gently* on the shoulder muscle during an exam, and didn't feel anything. (That was because the knots were in deeper.)

Anyways, this might not be your problem, but it could be. The chiro suggested deep muscle massage done by a licensed massage therapist. I went, and it worked wonders!!! Better than the meds did!! I was so skeptical at first, it sounded too good to be true to have a dr. suggest a massage, but I can't stres enough how much it helped!

Best wishes,
                    dsal

edited to add: Not to be nosy, but what type of bra do you wear? I found that a good quality, not-too-tight jog bra feels better than a traditional bra. I think it distributes the weight differently, due to the absence of a standard shoulder strap. Or maybe a wide-strapped camisole would work? My store had some with built-in "shelf" bras.
                    Last edited by dsal; 04-19-2004, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X