Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feedback on Houston ortho surgeons?

Hi everyone!
    I could use some honest feedback on a few Houston orthopedic surgeons and their office staff:

Dr. Darrell Hanson, Baylor Clinic
    Dr. Michael Kaldis, Southwest Orthopedic Group
    Dr. Rex Marco, UT Spine & Scoliosis Center

I've had appointments w/Dr. Hanson and Dr. Kaldis and am scheduled for an appt. w/Dr. Marco Sept. 19th.

Thanks!
    Pam
    44 yo female w/50 degree lumbar scolios w/no prior surgeries

I am curious on your thoughts as well. I had my spinal fusion done in 1989 and my doc is retired. I have gone to Hanson twice now for my pain. He has run alot of tests but has basically now told me to take Advil and try Yoga. What was your impression?
    Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

I've taken my daughter to Dr. Marco for consult and monitoring in her Spinecor brace. We are not ready for surgery so I can't give you any advice on that end. I really like him because he takes his time to explain things thoroughly and I never felt intimidated or felt that I couldn't ask him anything. I believe he will be very honest with you about your situation and I appreciate that the more than anything else. He did show us one of his patients before and after's just so he could show us the results of a fusion and I was impressed with the results. I think you'll like him. One thing you should be aware of, he is a professor at UT so he has residents who will come in with him, it was a bit much for my 14 yr old to have 3 or 4 dr's in the room at once.

Comment

I live in the Houston area. Dr. Hansen in considered one of the best.
        Last edited by Marcia; 10-16-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Docs

Marcia:

I have seen both Drs. Kaldis and Hanson.

I liked both. Each of them listened to my problems, tested me appropriately and wasn't in a hurry to cut me open.

I was told by Dr. Hanson that he will operate, he is just waiting for me to be ready to go. I didn't like his PA, but I was told that Hanson will respond to email from patients, so that is how I plan to submit any questions to him in the future. Sometimes, it takes a while (2-3 months) to get an appointment, sometimes you get lucky.

I can't comment on Dr. Kaldis' staff. I saw him when he was in the Baylor group and now he has gone to a different office.
          Last edited by PNUTTRO; 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you--feedback Houston Orthos

Hi everyone!
            Thank you all so much for your feedback on Houston orthopedic surgeons. It has really helped w/the decision process. I've decided to keep seeing Dr. Rex Marco and would highly recommend him to any other adult scoliosis patients. He's a professor at UT Houston and is a teacher, not a surgical dictator.
            My second favorite is Dr. Michael Kaldis and last would be Dr. Darrell Hanson.

Since my first appt. w/Dr. Hanson in Dec, I have endured quite enough of his "assistant's" incompetence, rudeness, arrogance, power-hungry issues, etc. Apparently, I am not the only one and plan on contacting the Office Manager for Baylor Clinic. It's a shame because I like Dr. Hanson and he's done four successful back surgeries on family members (including one adult scoliosis fusion). If the office siruation improved, I would keep seeing him as well as Dr. Marco.

Thanks! PP

Comment

I was not fond of Dr. Kaldis much at all. I'm seeing Dr. Marco for the first time today. I've been having back pain for a while now (I had surgery in 1993 on my lower back and a rod was fused in), and now I'm pregnant (14 weeks). When I saw Dr. Kaldis he wouldn't listen to me at all. I was telling him that I'm in a LOT of pain, and that my OB was prescribing very low dose Vicodin. She said that is perfectly safe in pregnancy as long as it's low dose, she is more worried about me being in a lot of pain and uncomfortable. Well Dr. Kaldis wasn't willing to listen to that, he said there is no way that Vicodin works. Um, I'm the one taking it, so I know how it works thank you. All he was willing to do was aqua therapy. He thought it was herniated discs for sure, and didn't even consider that maybe the discs below the rod could be damaged like I had been reading up on. He wouldn't prescribe anything and said there was no way Vicodin would help, etc. He was only there for like 2 minutes and acted like he was in a hurry. The office staff of Dr. Marco's office told me that he has a couple of pregnant patients, so hopefully I will have a better experience there!

Comment

Hi All,

I see Dr. Charles Reitman at the Kelsey-Seybold Main Campus. He also has an office at the Baylor College of Medicine Orthopedic group. He is in the same group as Dr. Hanson. He is an assistant professor for Baylor and also the Chief of the Orthopedic Surgery Service At Ben Taub.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I'm still puzzled ...

Why so many (and not in this thread, specifically, and certainly, you need to feel GOOD about your choice of surgeon!) have an issue with Dr. Hanson.

He answers my emails in detail.

He does not in the LEAST become offended when I ask him to explain his choices (it's MY one and only spine ... I'm entitled to question).

He sat with me on our last visit for TWO HOURS and patiently (as if he had all the time in the world; I KNOW he doesn't) answered my 100+ questions.

I've seen him described as uncaring towards pain (he isn't), aloof (he isn't), and apparently a little too straightforward for some (I prefer no sugar coating, thanks.).

Just wanted to toss in my $.02 and make sure his name - with all the experiences that led me to choose him as MY surgeon - are out there when people search.

Regards,
                  Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                  X