scoliosis and excercising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis and excercising

im wondering if when you excersise ,like aerobics, can that make the scoliosis worse?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Gayle(trudy)----read your post. I had such a bad case(bad lumbar curve & huge hump on back) that when I tried aerobics about a year ago, I could'nt do a lot. I was so afraid that I would hurt myself with certain positions. I have alwasys been very active with walking, rollerblading & such. Having 2 little boys keeps me acive & thin, too!!!! I always did tons of stuff like painting rooms, gardening, around the house, etc that I was quite positive that I would bounce back fairly fast after this surgery....Luckily it has been a good recovery. Every week I feel more like myself!
    I think you have to go with what works for you..if the aerobics make you feel better, do it! Just make sure you pace yourself.. I would think some of these instructors can give you some tips on what would not be good for scoliosis people//....ps... I was extremely active right before the surgery, doing a million & one things to get my room ready,etc., I think it helped me on my recovery!!!! keep in touch, Lynne

Comment

I'm not a doctor, but I can't see how it would make it worse. I personally have slowed down the exercise in the past few years (just getting older and lazy) and my back has gotten stiff and hurts. I never had pain when I was in shape. This has really pushed me to start working out again.

I saw a PT (who did not specialize in scoliosis) and his recommendation was to avoid pilates and avoid aerobics. I was annoyed that he would make that recommendation, so I haven't gone back. I think the more you exercise, the better you feel, mentally and physically.

From what I am gathering, we don't really have much control over our curves getting worse or not. So my theory is keep yourself in shape and stay as flexible as you can. My aunt is in her 60's and has scoliosis as well. She has always kept in shape and is not in crippling pain at all.

I hope that helps, even though not a very medical answer

Jamie

Comment

I'm not a doctor either, but I tend to stay away from certain exercises that I know could easily throw out my back. That doesn't mean that aerobics is necessarily bad for people with scoliosis, but my body tells me that it doesn't work for me. I try to do more low-impact exercise like swimming, walking, yoga, and the eliptical machine works great because you are not putting pounding pressure on your vertebrae as you would running, for example.

I think different doctors will tell you different things. I was told to stay away from tennis, but I do play a little (not often though). I would trust what your body tells you you can or cannot handle.
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

well ive always done aerobic workouts like with aerobic tapes and ive heard that you shouldnt do situps because it can cause the cvurve to worsen.not sure if thats trrue or not but for me i cant get my back off the floor anyway .i just wanted to make sure my curve wasnt worsening because i do aerobics..lol..

Comment

Trudy -

I have heard such conflicting information on this subject that I don't know what's good or bad anymore. I used to do pilates. I loved it, and it was wonderful for core strenghtening and flexibility. Some of the positions were impossible for me to do because of my scoli and some of them I will never attempt to do again because of my fusion. I know that one of the best exercises anyone, regardless of whether or not they have had surgery, can do is walking. Walking is excellent for cardiovascular health and it promotes bone growth for a solid fusion!

Brandi
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Walking

Walking is about the only exercise I can do these days that doesn't hurt. Even swimming hurt this summer. I try to walk every day and feel weird mentally and physically if I don't. I think it's important to stay as fit as you can before you-know-what........!!!
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

is riding a stationery bike good for strengthening leg muscles before surgery?

Comment

The more physically fit you are the better (IMO)

Walking is excellent especially post-op. I walk 2-3 miles a day now- and I love it!! I can only speak on my experiences- but I was a competitive swimmer for over 15 years and I must say that they were definitely pain free. I'm not sure if the swimming helped keep my flexible and this is why I was so pain free or if it was an age issue. My surgeon says that I can safely start swimming in a very leisurely pace in a couple of months and I'm eager to see if it changes my post-op pain.... I sure hope so cause I really miss the pool!!! I was told that only very high- impact sports could cause scoli to get worse.. but I dont know.
                  Angela
                  29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I asked my Dr. pre-op if there was ANYTHING that could make my scoliosis worse and my Dr. said no, but if you do make it worse I can fix it. I don't recall reading or hearing anything that was a "do not do, if you have scoliosis." I agree fully if working out makes you feel better, do it. When I slacked off at the gym I started to hurt more. Plus, I fully believe it kept me flexable and that is why my correction ended up so good. The bike will work your legs, but I got better results on the machines. Experiment and see what makes your muscles burn the next day. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X