Anyone ride horses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ride horses?

Hi everyone- I have posted a couple of private messages to some who ride but noone had a long fusion. I will have surgery in December to either L5 or sacrum. My biggest problem with this is that I ride horses and can't see how that will be possible afterwards with no mobility. The first dr I went to said it would be difficult at best for me. You need some mobility to absorb the motion of the horse or you will "bounce". If I just trail rode it would not be a big deal but I show -You have to ride well in order to show and the thought of giving it up makes me sick! I don't know if he did not go clear to the sacrum (just went to L5) if I would still have enough flexibility to move with the horse. I wonder if anyone that has a long fusion has been on a horse and can tell me if you were able to ride? Thanks!!- Cathie
    Last edited by bsprings; 09-02-2006, 09:13 AM.

I ride. My fusion is T5 to L4,I think. Since I ride saddleseat and post, there is not much "bouncing" when trotting. Depends on how smooth your horse is for the canter/lope. I would suggest waiting maybe a year before riding after surgery. I started back riding before that and think it may have contributed to the rods coming "unhooked" at the top. Had more surgery to fix that - not fun. There are others on the forum that ride too. Do not know how old you are but I am 56. If you are young, it should be easier on you.
    Pat

Comment

Pat-
      I am 45 and I ride western -but for the most part they are smooth.(western pleasure is what I show). You have one disc that is not fused- I will be fused at least to L5 if not the sacrum. I wonder if that will make a huge difference? I think I will tell him to not fuse the sacrum unless it is absolutely necessary. Did riding feel real different to you afterwards? Did you notice the lack of flexibility? I think you are right- it might depend on the horse. Maybe if I at least have mobility in my sacrum I will be ok. -Cathie

Comment

Cathie,
        I do not know if one disc will make a difference. When I first started riding after surgery, I was VERY stiff and did not feel well balanced physically. This made me mentally uptight. The last thing I wanted was to fall off. So I rode older lesson horses (with lots of whoa and no surprises) several times for a while, before I got back on my horse. When I finally relaxed some, I did not have trouble riding. If you are like me, it is not a question of if you will ride. Just when.
        Pat

Comment

Thanks Pat- I am pretty determined I will figure it out- I rode as a kid for years with a Milwaukee brace - maybe this won't be that much harder. Thanks for the encouragement! Cathie

Comment

Working...
          X