Lifting,bending,twisting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting,bending,twisting

So i know my restrictions on lifting anything, bending and twisting but sometimes i forget and lift something light. for instance i didnt even think about my laptop but i looked up the weight and it weighs 8 lbs. I dont lift it like you may think but i do shift it on my lap. Do you think this will and can hurt me? I have also been bending but doing it with my knees not my waist and i have not twisted, i think. I try my best to not do those things but sometimes i accidently do it.
    Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
    2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
    March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
    August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
    August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Hi...

I honestly don't know about the lifting thing, but I'd urge you to be more careful in following your surgeon's recommendations. As far as bending, I've always heard that you need to keep your body at no greater than a 90 degree bend. 90 degrees is the bend you have when you sit straight in a chair. You should be using your reacher/grabber, and having others put any objects you might need at countertop level. I think bending at more than 90 degrees has more potential of being harmful than lifting relatively light objects.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am very careful in not lifting anythg heavy but I do carry my coffee upstairs & small things like that... I have only bent my knees a couple times to get into my third-lower clothing drawer.....normally I call my husband or ask one of my boys to help me.....
      I still am more comfortsble certain days having my dinner upstairs,lying down in bed if I get tired. I always try to remember to have a family memeber carry up my plate of food because I have a set of heavy plates that are big/heavy to begin with.....
      I use the grabber like crazy for everything... I even wet a rag w/ soap & water to clean floor areas(ie., bathroom floor) It is amazing what you can do as you adapt to your disabilities......Lynne
      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
      X